myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge trip info request
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Viento close up?
Used to be great, launch there, and time your sleep cycles by the train.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

landis wrote:
Memaloose has electrical in about 30% of the sites. No sailing access but pretty close to HR and much stay than the Bridge RV site across the HR Bridge which is overpriced, tightly packed and noisy (but their bathrooms are immaculate).
I love Memaloose...we've camped there many times. I love the trains, the blackberries and the swimming hole/ jumping rocks. I've sailed there many times...I'm sure it's illegal with the tracks and all. Access is a bit of a drag with the westbound entrance for sure but its hard to beat the evening cocktail in the lawn chairs, watching the barges go by. I still have a jar of train flattened pennies.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Viento is still there. I have no idea why people are skipping it. Has power in 80+% of the sites. You can windsurf from the camp area and it is a great area for beginner shortboarders. Wind there needs a straight down the river flow to be good. Also it is 8 miles from Hood River, 20+ minutes to Stevenson, 20+ minutes to Rowena. Pretty much the best place to camp in the Hood River area IF you don't have a problem with trains. If you have a problem with trains then the ONLY place that you can get away from them is Tucker Park. All the other campgrounds are along the Columbia Gorge and trains run along both sides of it. Tucker park will be warmer than Viento by quite a few degrees. Not a problem if it is in the 70's but if it gets into the upper 80's and 90's it can be a problem. I never understand why people camp at Memaloose over Viento. Both have trains, but you can at least windsurf out of Viento and it is closer to Hood River. Maryhill is nice, but then you are betting that the wind will blow in the east. That is less reliable than wind blowing in the corridor (Hood River area).

No reservations but if you arrive by Wednesday you will be fine. Maybe okay on Thursday, but good luck on Friday....
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the BridgeMart (?) RV park right at the HR Bridge has hook ups. Some people complain about train noise, but that is a great place for access to anything.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the useful info, this will help.

Steve
WEISDA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: RV spots in the gorge Reply with quote

There is a RV campground right across from Safeway in Hood River, I do not know the name. People that stayed there for a month a few years ago really liked the access to town. Pretty easy walk to downtown and close to the Supermarket and liquor store Very Happy . I heard last month that Tucker park lost all the electric to the RV spots in the big ice storm a couple years back, and never replaced it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: