myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Meter Check for Swell, Rowena, Dougs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Wind Meter Check for Swell, Rowena, Dougs Reply with quote

Can anybody give me a report on conditions they experienced yesterday Aug 5 at Swell, Rowena, or Doug's?

Just want to compare reality with yesterdays meter reading for reference.

Thx and CU Sailin' Smile

starfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mike got there at 6 pm. Holey 4.2 until about 7 pm and then it got better. You know the usual Rowena thing. Oh yeah that's 4.2 for us full size people.
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Low-Fat Tuesday Reply with quote

I am calling yesterday Low-Fat Tuesday at the Hatchery.
Winds were a little lighter than Fat Tuesday in June (3.7 instead of 3.2 for me) and the lower river level/current meant that the bigger swells were only slightly overhead rather than mast high.

http://www.iwasphotographed.com/Tuesday-August-5-2014-Zodiac-a/i-p7zFW4j/A

http://www.iwasphotographed.com/Tues-Aug-5-2014-Zodiac-at-Swel/i-q9r3MVF/A

Looks like more of the same for today.

Last edited by hilton08 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
stuartwatson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit water at Rowena on a 4.7 at 4 p.m., and it was big gusts, then dips and glass-off on good swells for first half hour. Was wanting 4.2. Then the gusts backed down and holes seemed more pronounced, so glad for the 4.7. Came off just after 5, and watched pretty mixed mess of glass and gusts from shore until 5:30, then it seemed to fill in better. The usual. The day chart pretty much mirrored my experience.
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo - i think the swell meter is reading low.
i'm a kiter and in past years - i would only use my 6m kite when it was gusting over 30.
this year - i'm on my 6m and the iwindsurf readings for Swell are under 30 (25-2Cool.
it's had me scratching my head....
also - 8/5 was a unique day - crazy gusty violent wind with a southerly cant.... except qa certain spot east of the Dalles which was almost perfect.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - the new Swell meter seems off most of the time to me. It tends to exaggerate light days and minimize big days. I was lit up yesterday at the Hatch from 12-2 on my x small Chopper rigged medium in what was supposed to be avg 26-30. Today the meter read lower from 8-10 am, but the wind was clearly stronger. There were several moments with smoke. I could barely hold my xsmall Chopper which was quite flat today. Either say I had a friggin' blast both days. I do look forward to a slow 4.2 cruiser tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: