myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Tips
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoodask

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Maui Tips Reply with quote

Aloha,

I'm heading to Maui in mid September with 4 friends and i was hoping to get some advice from the forum as none of us have been there before.

We are staying in a place at Spreckelsville called Coconut Cove, apparently you can launch right out front. Does anyone know what that area is like? One of the guys is an improver?

Where can we get the best deal for a rental car / van?

Who is the best for windsurf rental? We don't really care about brands, just good quality kit at affordable rates, change out options etc?

I've heard some horror stories about rental gear getting damaged and then the renter getting stung for as new replacement even though the damage may not have been due to them (masts snapping in 20kts, booms breaking etc). Is it best to find a store who offer insurance?

Where can we get the best instructors for lessons (I know Matt Pritchard is the best but unfortunately he's a little over our budget)?

Best places to eat in Paia?

Is it safe to leave gear in car / van?

We've heard advice on leaving nothing in the car / van at Kanaha due to the homeless guys who hang there?

2 of the guys will be taking their girlfriends (I know!!!!!)('Evil or Very Mad') and they're a little worried about leaving them on the beach at Kanaha whilst they sail or are they just being stupid?

Any other advice on things to do, places to see etc will be awesome, thanks guys.

Smile
hitech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coconut Cove launch is directly upwind (east) of the Sprecks launch and is a great place to sail. Could be a little difficult for someone who can't waterstart or make jibes in chop/swell but not much different than sailing at Kanaha.
Rental car/van- Aloha Rental used to be Al West rental and has vans with racks inside so you can keep you gear safely locked up. Might not be necessary is you can rig and sail at Coconut Cove but useful for Kanaha.
Rental gear- several shops you can Google with about the same policy for damage. You might even contact Matt Pritchard as he rents good equipment at good prices. Regardless, all shops are honest and are not looking to gouge you but...you should be responsible for damage you do. Most masts are skinny and don't break, inspect the booms and boards when you rent and note dings.
Lessons- contact HST
Kanaha is absolutely safe during the day for anything in your car and your girlfriends. Just park around other windsurf vehicles and lock when you leave.
Paia- Milagros, Flatbread, Chez Ami, Fish Market, Cafe Mambo, some new rock and roll burger place and Charlie's. Check out Colleens and Nuka in Haiku.
Just got back from two weeks there and want to go back. Sailed up to Sprecks and sailed right where you will be sailing. I think the Sprecks webcam might be located on that property so you can check it out before you go and wave to your friends while you are there.
SAS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying in a place at Spreckelsville called Coconut Cove, apparently you can launch right out front. Does anyone know what that area is like? One of the guys is an improver?

I may have been there before but don’t recall it very well. Looking at the map it is just east of the public launch for Sprekelsville on Sugar Cove. Close to shore there the wind is often light, and you may have to swim out a bit to get to it. Inside the water tends to be smooth (good for learning jibes starting from port tack (or other more advanced moves in that direction), then there’s an area of reef with small breaking swell often, which is good for jumps and maybe a turn or two on a wave on the way in if it breaks right. Outside will be typical Maui chop and swell.

In addition to the windsurf vans, check out standard web searches for the regular agencies and smaller local agencies like Kimo’s. I think there’s a few local agencies too. You might also want to check out http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/. They get discounted rates from the regular agencies. You don’t know the agency until you book it, but it is not prepaid so if you don’t like it you can cancel. I used them in July on the Big Island and got a good deal at Enterprise.

Who is the best for windsurf rental? We don't really care about brands, just good quality kit at affordable rates, change out options etc?
I've heard some horror stories about rental gear getting damaged and then the renter getting stung for as new replacement even though the damage may not have been due to them (masts snapping in 20kts, booms breaking etc). Is it best to find a store who offer insurance?

All the rental agencies have good equipment and I believe are pretty honest. I haven’t heard horror stories. Friends of mine have gone to Second Wind and recommend it. I personally buy stuff there because both the past owner, Ralph, and the current owner, Kevin, are honest and fair, and I like having a personal relationship with the management. Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport can be a pain to get in and out due to traffic on Dairy Road, so it’s not the best if you have to swap out gear during the day. Kanaha Kai is close to Kanaha if you want Hot Sails. I don’t go there mostly because one of their employees (who may not even work there anymore because I haven’t seen him in a while) was a total a-hole on the water. I’ve also heard good things about Maui Windsurf Co. for Goya gear. Naish seems to have gone a lot towards kiting and SUP. Hi Tech and Neil Pryde are solid too. I’d avoid Simmer due to Paia traffic if you think you might have to swap out gear much.

Where can we get the best instructors for lessons (I know Matt Pritchard is the best but unfortunately he's a little over our budget)?

Lessons. Matt is a great teacher, especially for advanced skills. I still owe him for teaching me forward loops many years ago. Other than that HST is well thought of and has great teachers and owners.

Best places to eat in Paia?

The list in the earlier response is good. I wouldn’t miss the Fish Market and Flatbread. If you want to go bankrupt eat at Mama’s Fish House in Kuau every night.

We've heard advice on leaving nothing in the car / van at Kanaha due to the homeless guys who hang there?
It is safe to leave stuff locked in your car in general. I have never been ripped off here, which is a lot more than I can say for time I spent living in San Francisco and Boston. Windsurf gear in particular hardly ever gets ripped off. Lots of people leave it in the back of pickup trucks all the time with no problem. Thefts at Kanaha are extremely rare, and with your launch site at your vacation rental you may not spend much time there. While there are homeless there, I have never had trouble with them, and there are some I talk to when I see them. Many of them are quite nice if you get to know them and treat them like human beings. I see windsurfers all the time hiding keys around their cars, and they don’t have issues, but I carry my key with me in the water.

2 of the guys will be taking their girlfriends (I know!!!!!)(' ') and they're a little worried about leaving them on the beach at Kanaha whilst they sail or are they just being stupid?

As to girlfriends on the beach at Kanaha, I don’t know why that’s stupid, other than the wind makes it not a great beach to lay out on. No one will bother them, but if they look good in bikinis they’ll certainly get some admiring looks but the mostly male windsurfers.

Any other advice on things to do, places to see etc will be awesome, thanks guys

Lots to see/do which depends on your interests, so it’s hard to comment here in detail. I do lots of hiking and diving. Others will golf, paddle, surf, tennis, pretty drives, SUP, kayak, snorkel, and lots more.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat the fish market on the corner in Paia. Milagro's is good food. Café Des Ami has shaded outdoor dining that is fun. But, don't forget world famous Mana Foods. Their prepared food is fine! Just get a blanket, plates and silverware and park your meal on the grass in front of Mama's Fish House! I do this all the time. Don't forget the Mai Tai mix.

I don't like the small rental car companies. Sorry, I like Alamo. Book through Costco, and your rate will be very low.

Sail from your house and give the girls the car keys. Do a down winder to Kanaha and have them pick you up 2 hours later! You'll never forget that day.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side trip when the wind doesn't blow, and cheap!, you and 4 friends, I'm guessing no women.~
Take a walk along the walk that goes behind all the high end resorts along Kaanapali beach, starting at the Sheraton and working your way south. Jump into their swimming pool, swim across it, then walk down to the next hotel, jump into their pool swim across it, then head to the next one, and then the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and so on. It's a great way to spend an afternoon as well as checking out all the high maintenance babes in bikinis along the way. You'll get an awesome eyeful. There's more to Maui than just windsurfing. Wink
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sasussman, I'm jealous, even though I just spent three weeks on Maui June/July period. My advice for rentals would be Hawaiian Island Surf and Sports. It's the first shop you'll see as you exit the airport on Dairy Road. They offer a good selection of gear, very close to Kanaha, fast gear swaps, a great staff, and they offer insurance, not a bad idea for Maui first-timers. Call ahead and they'll hook you up with a discount. Also, if you want a neat sailing souvenir, Dan from Fully Wound Productions, the guy who posted the Maui race footage, will sail with you for a couple hours and video your exploits, very reasonable priced.
The guys have given you some pretty good sailing advice. I'd add that when Kanaha and the Northshore wind starts kicking a little too North, usually in the mid- afternoon, the South shore starts to fire up. Takes about twenty minutes to drive across the island to Kihei, here you'll find some good sailing out in front of the Maui Sunset or at the Pavillion. Can be a bit gusty, but the smooth swells outside make for some epic sessions. Also, stick around for the most amazing sunsets in the islands, Nature's liightshow every evening. Bring some clothes, boardshorts and tshirt will do, and do some Happy Hours at Threes, Kahalie Beach Club, Life's a Beach,Tiki Lounge, and Mulligan's on the Blue [try the corned beef tacos, YEEHAW!!!]. if you're around Wailea later on in the evening, hungry and thirsty,Longhi's at the Shops at Wailea has a great Late Night Happy Hour starting at 10PM. Other touristy activities on the South side include Lahaina, with miles of beginner friendly surf-beaches on the way, Kapalua, with a great, reasonably priced restaurant,The Plantation House, at the country club with awesome views from the dining room , great snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and other fun stuff.
On the North side, great windsurfing, but also take a day to be a tourist. Everyone does the Hana Road, start real early 'cause there's lots of cool hiking, swimming, and sightseeing to do along the way. One tourist attraction worth checking out is just before you get to Hana, you'll see a sign on the left side of the road directing you to The Blue Lava Tube. It's definitely worth the time. Also, if you're careful to avoid chuckholes, ignore the car rental advisory and continue on the road beyond Hana out to through the lava fields of Mt Haleakala. Remote beaches, awesome scenery, cool adventure. The road finishes Upcountry, and you can follow it around to the Haleakala Highway, or go a little further to Makawao and take Baldwin Ave, the maindrag, back down to Paia. Of course, take a drive up Haleakala for sunrise or sunset, it's an incredible experience well worth the effort.
While on Maui, do not miss the opportunity to check out local music. Happy Hours all around the island feature local talent every day with great food and beverage specials. However, the the artist not miss is Willie K. This guy will blow your mind every time you see him. His set list can include traditional Hawaiian music, blues, Cab Calloway, Hendrix, country, Italian opera, all in one performance! He plays a dinner show Wednesdays at Mulligan's on the Blue in Wailea, Fridays at Kimo's in Lahaina, but the best is his dance party show at Cassanova's in Makawao Tuesday nights. A friendly locals crowd, good food and drink, a rockin' dance floor.... you'll join the Maui Tribe for sure!
So there you go! Hopefully I've given you a few ideas. Or, you can toss all this, grab a tasty Mai Tai and veg by the pool after sailing your ass off! Either way, you'll have a great time... still jealous, aloha, Bull

image.jpg
 Description:
Another awesome Maui Sunset slalom session!
 Filesize:  27.98 KB
 Viewed:  50063 Time(s)

image.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Maui Tips Reply with quote

hoodask wrote:
Aloha,

Aloha will be your "best deal" on a van, though some of those can be pretty beater. I've also rented Dodge Calibers from Alamo (for less than $100 a week). As a
1 person vehicle, they are premium for gear and driving.
hoodask wrote:

You can't really go wrong, but I usually rent from Kanaha Kai because they are really convenient for picking up, dropping off, and swapping out gear, since they're on the road to Kanaha.

hoodask wrote:

Probably depends on your risk aversion psychology. I've never bought insurance, but I've never experienced a problem. Your "Improver"
might break stuff due to their abilities, so maybe a good idea there.

hoodask wrote:

What kind of gear are we talking about. I've never had an issue
with my windsurfing gear, but it might behoove you not to leave your
laptop, cel phone, camera, wallet...... laying about on the seat
or dashboard. that's what trunks are for.

There are some homeless people there, just do what you'd do to protect your stuff like you would in any parking lot.

hoodask wrote:

2 of the guys will be taking their girlfriends (I know!!!!!)('Evil or Very Mad') and they're a little worried about leaving them on the beach at Kanaha whilst they sail or are they just being stupid?

If you're asking are they physically safe there, they are, and it is a nice park to hang out at. If you hang just outside the tree line at the upper trail,
you can get a tan, watch your SO on the water, and read a nice book with a cooler full of beer, in the sand and not get sand blasted.

If you're asking if there's potential for them to wander off with a blonde surfer dude with ripped abs, yep it could happen, so that'll be up to them.

hoodask wrote:

Any other advice on things to do, places to see etc will be awesome, thanks guys.

Smile

There are some incredible beaches over on the Kaanapali side of the island, if you like that sort of thing, so throw a bit of snorkeling in, on a no
winder. The blow holes to the North of Kaanapali make for an easy hike,
and some good pictures. Take a surfing lesson, and see just how puny your manly shoulders are. ;*)

Haleakala National Park, the Road to Hana (lava tubes, water falls and a long twisty ride) ....., It's hard to go wrong on Maui,

-Craig
victor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice place to launch. not as nice for beginners as kanaha beach park but still pretty safe. kanaha b.p. is about as good as it gets, although it can get pretty crowded on weekends and holidays.

pack earplugs for sleeping. the end of the airport runway is literally blocks away.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend renting from Matt Pritchard.

One of my favorite non windsurfing places on Maui is Makena Beach and La Perouse. Be careful buying fruit from the big Tongans by the side of the road though.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite a few years since I last went to Maui, but the 6 times that I went in the 90s, we stayed right on at beach property in the Spreckelsville area. Perfect place to be in my view, and there's little reason to go elsewhere if the conditions are right on the northshore.

In the morning, or on an off day with little wind, I would highly recommend taking a trip up to Honolua Bay to snorkel. To say to mildly, it's an outstanding place. Believe me, it will be a winner with others in your party, particularly with the ladies. The sea life is like no other place I've seen in Hawaii. It's truly spectacular. However, before you go, you want to check whether there's a north or west swell running. Ideally, you want a flat day to take advantage of things. On the other hand, if you are looking to surf and a swell is running, it's one of the best waves in Maui.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: