myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Larger board - question about planing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthompson156

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Larger board - question about planing Reply with quote

I currently sail on an 85 liter wave board with 4.2 and 5.0, mostly at Crissy. Low end for planing is probably high teens or close to 20, which is basically every single day around here in the season.

Thinking ahead to later fall when there are likely to be more days around 15ish average, which will be below my current threshold: if I got a larger board to use with the 5.0, is planing in winds like that realistic? I know that sounds low for a 5.0, but I'm out there now with the smaller board when its not that much windier than that. Will another 20 liters or so plane much earlier?

I weigh 160, and usually sail about 1/2 size smaller than everyone else, either I'm getting more efficient or I just like sailing a little less powered than others. I'm usually happy on the 5.0 when others are 5.2-5.8.

A secondary thought was something like a 110 liter wave board so it could also be used for light-wind wavesailing, but I'm wondering if a freestyle-oriented board would plane a lot earlier.

Would prefer to avoid getting a 5.8 or 6.0, they just feel monstrous to me compared to what I usually sail. And sticking with the 5.0 would keep it real simple too -- on the marginal days I would grab the larger board and the 5.0, and if it picks up I just swap boards in 2 minutes. Want to avoid sitting there pondering which sail, which board, then being mad if I'm out there on a 5.8 and it picks up.

Primary goal = more time on the water with the 5.0 on marginal days.

Secondary = board that would be at least fun in waves in light wind, if not a pure wave board.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by mthompson156 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger board - question about planing Reply with quote

Buy a 6.5 sail.

-Craig

mthompson156 wrote:
I currently sail on an 85 liter wave board with 4.2 and 5.0, mostly at Crissy. Low end for planing is probably high teens or close to 20, which is basically every single day around here in the season.

Thinking ahead to later fall when there are likely to be more days around 15ish average, which will be below my current threshold: if I got a larger board to use with the 5.0, is planing in winds like that realistic? I know that sounds low for a 5.0, but I'm out there now with the smaller board when its not that much windier than that. Will another 20 liters or so plane much earlier?

I weigh 160, and usually sail about 1/2 size smaller than everyone else, either I'm getting more efficient or I just like sailing a little less powered than others. I'm usually happy on the 5.0 when others are 5.2-5.8.

A secondary thought was something like a 110 liter wave board so it could also be used for light-wind wavesailing, but I'm wondering if a freestyle-oriented board would plane a lot earlier.

Would prefer to avoid getting a 5.8 or 6.0, they just feel monstrous to me compared to what I usually sail. And sticking with the 5.0 would keep it real simple too -- on the marginal days I would grab the larger board and the 5.0, and if it picks up I just swap boards in 2 minutes. Want to avoid sitting there pondering which sail, which board, then being mad if I'm out there on a 5.8 and it picks up.

Primary goal = more time on the water on marginal 15iish+ days.

Secondary = board that would be at least fun in waves in light wind, if not a pure wave board.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can absolutely extend your range with a bigger, earlier planing board like a 100l freestyle board or even a freestyle wave. Even at 160lbs, I don't think you can get down to 15 knots though. Being efficient is an art, so if you're getting better in this area, it's a really good thing. I tend to sail smaller sails and boards than most my weight (185-190lbs) because I've always loved sailing small boards and sails and am pretty efficient. Sailing a freestyle sail w/ good low end on a freestyle board helps too. A fast, efficient board with a lot of glide will also help as you can get planing in the gusts and the coast through the lulls and use little puffs to accelerate for things like jumping.

Freestyle boards generally aren't very good in the waves... very little rocker overall and very low noses make purling a real problem... however, it can be done:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=633094810131589

a pretty hooky top turn at the beginning Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
You can absolutely extend your range with a bigger, earlier planing board like a 100l freestyle board or even a freestyle wave. Even at 160lbs, I don't think you can get down to 15 knots though.

Ok cool, that is good to know. 15 is just kind of an arbitrary number, the main goal is to just get solidly lower than whatever the current floor is.

And the 6.5 suggestion - without a bigger board it won't help. I fiddled with a 5.7 for a while, it didn't plane any earlier than I could with the 5.0 (maybe fractionally). Basically the same low end but just heavier and more to deal with. Just too big a sail for that board. For someone heavier I could see it being useful on a board that size.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When moving up to a larger sail, it's often wise to bump up to a larger fin too. Without a bit more lift from a bigger fin, the larger sail can feel sluggish and lifeless on the low end.
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
When moving up to a larger sail, it's often wise to bump up to a larger fin too. Without a bit more lift from a bigger fin, the larger sail can feel sluggish and lifeless on the low end.

Definitely a good point, but the main problem is that the 5.7 just felt like a beast to handle when slogging, jibing or anything other than planing along. I just don't like bigger sails anymore, so I'm trying to extend the range of the 5.0 as much as possible. Obviously there is only so far it can go, but I want to see where that line is.

Everyone is different, but personally I would rather have a large board and small sail, not the other way around -- especially since the newer boards keep getting better at riding/feeling smaller than they actually are. So that's my main goal here -- maxing out the 5.0 as low as possible.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same weight and generally use smaller sails then most. I can easily plane with a 100L board and a 5.7 in 15kts of wind. I could probably get a 5.0 going but it would be a struggle which takes away from the fun factor.

I would borrow or rent a larger board the next 15kts day and try it with your 5.0. This is the only way to know given you're ability, equipment, and sailing conditions.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not appeal to everyone but, on odd occasions when caught out by fading winds, I've swapped over my 5.0 sail from the 84 litre board to the 'back up' bigger one, an old 118 litre Exocet cross. (Like a big wave board shape, and quite handy in lighter winds, though normally with a 6.0 sail.)

It struggles to plane in the 15 wind strength with only a 5.0 sail, but it easily 'pumps up' on the swells, and will then keep planing for a while. Perhaps that might be an answer for you, if you prefer not to use a bigger sail?

Incidentally, it surprises me what can be made to work. I once plugged a multi battened 7.4 race sail (pre twist off era) on to a 74 litre wave board on a fading wind day, just to see what would happen. It DID plane, but the fantastic struggle actually made the prospect of joining the local ladies syncronised knitting circle seem attractive - and probably with greater chance of reward!! Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have your heart set on a bigger wave board, or whether a board with a flatter rockerline, like a freeride or even a quick FSW, would work for you. If you want to stick with the 5.0 in lighter winds, the latter board types will give you a much better chance to get onto a plane and maintain it. Less swell and chop usually go hand-in-hand with lower wind, so faster higher volume board design can be a good choice.

If the new board must be a wave board, are you thinking about a single fin or a multi-fin design?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you fiddled and had no success planing earlier from 5.0 to 5.7,
and since 15 is arbitrary, why not just stick a bigger, more vertical fin
in your current board, you'll get solidly lower in your planing threshold,
and you'll notice a difference from 5.0 to 5.7. I have noticed quite a
large difference in planing threshold from 5.2 to 5.7 on my `80 ltr
wave board, but then again I can be really efficient if necessary.

In 18MPH average winds, the 5.7 will plane most of the time, but the 5.2
will plane once in a while. I out weigh you by 25 lbs.

-Craig

mthompson156 wrote:

Ok cool, that is good to know. 15 is just kind of an arbitrary number, the main goal is to just get solidly lower than whatever the current floor is.

And the 6.5 suggestion - without a bigger board it won't help. I fiddled with a 5.7 for a while, it didn't plane any earlier than I could with the 5.0 (maybe fractionally). Basically the same low end but just heavier and more to deal with. Just too big a sail for that board. For someone heavier I could see it being useful on a board that size.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: