myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rufus parking/rigging/launch/landing area
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
We have all had days when every swell is occupied and people behave as if their patch of real estate needs to be guarded with their lives.

Reminds me of the guy who told me I couldn't park in the paved space I wanted "in case he needed it". He already had a space for his truck, a second space for his camper, and a third space for his carpet, but thought he might need a fourth space for something ... during a jam-packed summer week. There were few other options, so I parked in "his" Just-In-Case slot. Later I joined him at one of the public park picnic tables on the lawn near his "corral" to rest and maybe smooth things over, and he yelled at me to "Get out of my camp". He spent most of the rest of the week guarding "his" table from the other 100 park users lest they sit at it and defile his 800 square feet of turf.

Let's see ... I took his picture ... got it around here somewhere. Oh, yes, here it is:

westender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy am I out of the Loop. Last time I was there, Kiters were glad to have the cove. Followed a Kiter on the way back to town,PDX, today. After he cut me off he expected the seas to part as he made his way.

I thought non windsurfing RV's and boat trailers were bad.

I have kites.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a simple world if we all thought the same way about everything. Then again how boring would it be if EVERYBODY in the world was the same as you (me, us, etc.). I also get up tight when I see people not "being considerate". But then I have to remind myself that not everybody has lived the same 50+ years I have in my shoes. So everybody is different and sees things differently. So the question is, how do you politely tell somebody they are being a "dick"? Cool
merriam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Ditto. For me, Rufus has long been my favorite sailing spot of all the 70+ venues I've sailed on the Columbia. No mas. It's been destroyed, IMO, by the sheer numbers and footprint of kites there and the attitudes and behavior of the 10 percenters. There's simply not enough room on the river there to sail unimpeded anymore.

We've had 4 great sailing sessions there this last week. Yesterday was the best swell for a 5.2 day I've ever had. It was a blast riding the swell with kiters, even sharing "party waves" with them. Everyone smiling and whooping it up! Years ago I was more intimidated by proximity to kiters but the gear and riders are so much better now, in many ways I actually feel safer around most of them than other sailors (I try to avoid obviously less competent sailors and kiters). Also, attitude and behavior problems occur with equal frequency from sailors as well, but I would put the number at less than 1%.
STAUDA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a kiter and gorge windsurfer for 20 years and the funny thing is that the area he is talking about sucks for launching and landing kites. The huge rock pile just upwind creates dangerous turbulence. IMO Skent the wind is better up and downwind with plenty of parking in both directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: