myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rig seperation at Arlington/Roosevelt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Rig seperation at Arlington/Roosevelt Reply with quote

Seeing the post about self rescue at the Wall...Thought I would relate two incidents I've had, both mid-river out east. Two different boards, two different Chinook 2 bolt bases, two rig separations .
First time a good big swell 3.7 day, (175lb guy) I make a turn and my rig comes off in my hands... Off goes the board, downwind and out of sight as I lay there in the water on my sail, amazed and dazed...I thought, for just a few seconds, "WTF do I do NOW?" a quick look around and I see that I'm way downwind almost past the grain silos, no one down wind that might capture my board...so I leave the rig and take off in a swimming sprint to try to catch the board...I am a decent swimmer, grew up surfing on the California coast and it was all I could do to finally catch the board...I almost gave up. It is amazing how fast a board will go in that kind of conditions.
After a few seconds to try to recover from my swimming effort I take off back up wind paddling like a fool, thinking I'll be really lucky to find my rig still afloat...and I was really lucky...there it was.

I recovered for a while, sitting on my board with the rig in my lap.......then I slip into the water again and try to re-attach the rig... in logo-high waves and 45mph gusts...Quite the feat...avoid this if you can...

In the end, I had to take the bogie out of the cup in the extension and put that into the board, making SURE, this time, to engage the retention clip....and then tipping the board up in the swell and chop, I got the bogie back into the extension cup, after a bazillion tries and many swallowed pints of Columbia water...

Second time, similar...less wind, bigger board, and I think the same bogie/base....I have since tossed that one out and I now double and triple check to make sure my equipment is properly connected...I traced my problems to the emergency strap....it was slightly frayed and causing the pawl of the mast base to not engage fully'.

Second swim....I immediately took off after my board...no pause...that cut down the swim, but it was still really really hard to catch the board..and again, quite a chore to get the stuff reconnected while in the river...

I am very lucky this wasn't at the coast, or in March, or no barges were headed for me, etc etc... and I should know better than to take chances trying to sail with worn equipment...But we get smug and lazy, I guess...doesn't mean we're beyond drowning, just cause we've sailed for years, eh? Take care...DH.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reinforcing some habits I am often tempted to cheat on:
1. Bend and inspect the hourglass EVERY time I rig.
2. Make DAMNED sure the mastfoot retention latch is closed.
3. Run my hand down the luff sleeve to make CERTAIN there's no gap at the mast ferrule.
4. Check the shaft screw in my roller bar for tightness.
5. Make CERTAIN both cup pins are fully engaged.
6. Tie a figure 8 knot in the free end of my outhaul so it can't disengage and fall out (I leave it free so I can adjust it on the water).
7. Make sure the head cap is fully engaged rather than just snagged on the mast tip.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another thought: I would never ever have caught up with my board on either instance had I been wearing a "life" vest.

I won't comment on whether these personal flotation/ flak vests that I often see being worn are good or bad..but I know for certain that in some instances they can keep you from being able to do what you need to do...Like swim fast to catch a board or submerge to avoid getting ker-wacked by another sailor or kiter or being hit by a flopping rig..

On the other hand I have bruised (or broken) ribs in poorly-managed crashes. If I were a weak swimmer or sailing without a decent wetsuit in very cold water, I might find a flotation vest useful sometimes..

Just sayin'
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second criteria in choosing rib armor is whether it speeds up or slows down my swimming. I choose the former (non-interfering arm holes, slim fit, keeps my body higher in the water for easier breathing.)
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the easiest way to reattach the rig to the board in the water is to flip it on its side and have your arms on one side and your body on the other. It`s then perpendicular from the base and not too hard to control. Your triceps hold the board against your body leaving both hands free to manhandle the rig. Undo the harness hook so it doesn`t get in the way. Like any emergency technique it always pays to practice before it is really needed!
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you`re swimming for your rig don`t burn up all your energy in the first try. You might need it later if you can`t reach it.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I had to reattach offshore I was using a mechanical joint, which stays at whatever angle you want. Easy Peasy.
gmclean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are talking self rescue I will chime in with my little adventure today. I am on Cape Cod visiting family where we have a 180 liter Bic Nova and an ancient 7.2 Ezzy Infinity sail. I have sailed this setup in a lot of wind but today was a bit much.

We sailed out of Waquoit Bay about 10:30am in a rising SE blow. Once we cleared the jetty I realized I had way too much sail and too much board. Instead of doing the smart thing I continued out into Vineyard Sound enjoying the ride on the edge of control. The tide was flooding strong and there were some nice head high rollers coming through. On a small board and sail it would be have been tons of fun but on big gear it was a handful. About a mile out I gybed around and attempted to head back in. It was too windy and I could not bear off to the entrance of the bay. After crashing multiple times I decided to re-evaluate the situation. The current was ripping to the east so despite the strong SE wind I was headed further from shore. Self rescue seemed like the best option. I took the boom off and separated the rig from the board. Sitting on the board looking back into the wind I lifted the mast up to my chest in a attempt to get the sail off. As i did this. I started accelerating downwind in the direction I wanted to to go. I sat like this riding nice swells all the way to south cape beach where I landed. I was able to walk across to Sage Lots pond and sail back to Waquoit Bay where I found my cousin paddling in after his own self rescue.

All in all a fun sail and a nice little adventure.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Oh, and if you`re swimming for your rig don`t burn up all your energy in the first try. You might need it later if you can`t reach it.

I do just the opposite. I sprint, because a) that maximizes my chances of catching it, b) we recover from sprints quickly, and c) I train exactly for that (and because it's much quicker and much more beneficial than aerobics) in the gym. It pays off big.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
I do just the opposite. I sprint, because a) that maximizes my chances of catching it,.[/quote]

Yes, an 'endurance pace' chase of a loose board, that doesn't work that well. The dang things really scoot on a windy day...
I give it my all...put my head down and sprint...I can always turn over and float for a few minutes should I not actually catch up...and then swim for shore after I have recovered...
I had to swim in from the outer break at Surf Beach in California on a big big day and I got swooped right back out by the shore rip twice...Now THAT was a long swim! Anywhere in the Gorge, pretty easy if it's not January...
Knee-paddling the board works pretty well if you are chasing after your rig or have a short distance to tow the rig to shore...It's a more natural motion and less tiring, especially in a wetsuit...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: