myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need a tough footstrap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Need a tough footstrap Reply with quote

As a Kona sailor I spend a lot of time out of the straps. Which means I step on them a lot also. My front Kona straps are taking a lot of wear and tear. The outer skin is practically gone on one of them. Need a recommendation for a tough strap that will last. Looked at the Dakine straps and the Epic gear straps. Thanks.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need a tough footstrap Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
As a Kona sailor I spend a lot of time out of the straps. Which means I step on them a lot also. My front Kona straps are taking a lot of wear and tear. The outer skin is practically gone on one of them. Need a recommendation for a tough strap that will last. Looked at the Dakine straps and the Epic gear straps. Thanks.

Hmm about the Dakine Slims? They seemed to be made completely out of some sort of moulded material instead of the neoprene stuff the others are made out of.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older stouter Dakine straps, if still available, are hardwearing and don't seem to object to being stood on. (I assume you're not an elephant. Wink )

I have them on my Kona, and most other boards because they open wider than most, and can span wider than the normal setting holes for those of us with size 12 feet. Very necessary when, in winter, we wear 5mm boots on top of 3mm socks! (And still they don't too much mind being trampled on.)
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dakine contour straps.... i like these alot...the only reason i don't use them anymore...is that you can't adjust them on the fly. you need to take the screws out and then re-install them. and i use different thickness booties as the season changes...
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakine Core Contours. As stated earlier, no neoprene on the surface & their thinness makes them so..... much easier to step on so its the only foot strap I will leave on a board for teaching a beginner.

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakine Contour? They come in sets of 3, not 4.

Dakine Stouter? Gurgle, was that their name, or can you find the model? It's interesting to know what works for you with booties...

Dakine Proform? I have some but they don't work with booties. There is a soft stretchy fabric around them that is probably great to protect bare feet. Unfortunately, when the strap is setup to be large, the fabric closes the opening a bit. It slips ok with barefeet, but it catches booties and you cannot get your feet in

Dakine Slim? Looks like a good bet but not adjustable on the go.

Original Kona? The original Kona are still on my board. They are disintegrating but sustained stepping and work well with booties.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
Dakine Contour? They come in sets of 3, not 4

Apparently not all shops are the same?

Coachg

Futura 93 Rear.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  774.74 KB
 Viewed:  11385 Time(s)

Futura 93 Rear.JPG

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder. The Dakine straps I use on five of my boards all date from a few years back, and are the black ones with raised white lettering. They originally came as an optional upgrade on Exocet boards from our Exocet importer, who also supplied Dakine gear.

I don't know the model name (of the straps) and I'm told the later ones are lighter and thinner, but my original 2006 Exocet Kona came with the upgrade straps, as did three new Exocet Cross boards (two from a dealer -118 in 08, 94 in 08 also- and one directly from importer -84 in 011- when he gave up the dealership and was clearing his warehouse). I assume the footstraps were all older stouter stock.

Now you mention it, fitting the straps from new was a struggle to beat their springiness, and stretch them, but they soon stretched with use and have never been a problem since.

Incidentally, the last board I bought two years ago (Bic Techno 133) came with good large fitting Bic straps, but I don't think Bic straps are supplied seperately from the boards. (Mr BIc does have his annoying little ways - but we forgive him! Laughing )
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like my Dakine core contour straps they seem to be disintegrating too quickly. The white part on top is still like new but the thin black fabric over the foam where it touches your feet and along the top and sides is developing runs in it like a panty hose and becoming threadbare Mad
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contour is a 3 strap system according to the Dakine webpage. They look pretty good on the site. I could just use the front ones. So that's $88.00 for two straps. Beaglebuds comment gives me pause because that is the same problem I am having now. The slims also look good. Sailboarder, I still have the original Kona straps, however they are disintegrating. Especially the front ones. Probably will wait till I can get to a shop and lay my hands on some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: