myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
nitrous shorts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomasphoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: nitrous shorts Reply with quote

ai am wanting to learn to use a seat harness. I have heard the nitrous shorts are really comfortable. Any likes or dislikes for them?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like back support. Shorts don't have it. I suggest you remain mainstream until you have a specific reason to go all fringey on us.
combs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you cant beat the cutting edge fashion of board shorts over wetsuit...so Avant Garde!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs back support wearing a seat harness? In my view, that's where DaKine went wrong with the XT Seat, and the other over-supported designs that move into waist harness territory. Why so much unnecessary support, and a over-the-top price to go with it? The design of a good seat harness negates the need to move support above your waist. When I started windsurfing I used a chest harness, but I found that the thing just worked my back and left me with a dose of lower back pain. Later when seat harnesses came out, I immediately made the move, and all my back problems simply vanished.

For years I have been using Dakine's Speed Seat, which keeps the harness bar fairly low, and the padded support is at a reasonable minimum. The Nitrous shorts work off a similar concept, but it was designed with kiters in mind that have this thing for wearing shorts over their wetsuit. All the extra fabric down to your knees adds what? It just adds to the difficulty of drying things out and keeping the smelliness down. Also, the price for the Nitrous harness is way too pricey.

What I would look for is a current design that replicates the minimalist concept of the Speed Seat. As a extra plus, the price is literally half what you would spend on the XT Seat, Nitrous Shorts or a waist harness.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to believe the concept behind the Nitrous shorts is so you can wear a seat harness but don't have to look like you're wearing a nappy.
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair several years ago because I liked the concept -- just wear your "board shorts" to your sailing spot, then rig up and go. The hook is slightly lower than on the newer seat harnesses, i.e., closer to the aforementioned traditional ones. I never had an issue with lack of back support, but I didn't like how baggy the shorts themselves are, so I didn't use them as much as I thought I would.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I like back support. Shorts don't have it. I suggest you remain mainstream until you have a specific reason to go all fringey on us.

your leveraging the biggest and strongest muscles, ass and legs, the back is pretty much along for a free ride so support there is not needed.
the hook is low compared to a waist harness and for that reason I'm selling mine, size 36, pm me if interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: