myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do with modern car keys.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Volvo key has a rubber like casing around the computer chip area and it is waterproof. I've worn it around my neck for years and the key still works. I got one of those lock boxes for the door handle but I didn't feel comfortable about it. People can break things so quickly I just figured they'd find a way to pry it open or something.
fitek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sprinter RF key needs to be in close proximity to the ignition.

It is definitely not water proof or resistant. I kept mine in a dry bag for 3 sessions and it got flakey and then stopped working. I had to pry it open and carefully clean the PCB with a borrowed can of expensive contact cleaner. Watch out or the spring will come flying out Smile

I bought a "dumb" key that opens only the doors, and carry that in my hydration pack along with my radio and a power bar (never know when you might end up floating in the bay for a few hours). I always wash the key off before inserting into the key hole lest the lock rusts out.

For some reason the driver side door opens when you turn the key in one direction, and the back doors open by turning the key in the other direction. What gives, MB?

Sometimes when I lock the Sprinter, it decides that it doesn't feel like locking, though the lights flash, and when I test the passenger door, it's still unlocked. Hope you have better luck Smile
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For car ( VW Golf GTI)
- My car does not have anywhere to use a mechanical key without prying a plastic cover off the door handle and potentially scratching up things. It's a PITA.
- I used a waterproof thing around my neck (supposedly one of the best). Worked great 49 times out of 50. Unfortunately the 50th time for whatever reason, water got in and I had to pay $175 to get a new key/clicker. The car still started as the RFID chip itself is impervious to water.
- After that experience, I switched to using a real-estate box from Home Depot hanging off part of the car.

For truck (RAM)
- I use the "HitchSafe" which is pretty nice as it's well hidden - if you have a 2" hitch.

Most thieves watch you get out of your car, so they know you are not coming back soon and can see if you hide the key in an obvious place.
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just because I am bit paranoid, I have a car-safe that I lock my phone and wallet in. It is chained around a tie-down in the bed of the truck.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I WSed from a Chevy Blazer with no top, and in my last van, I bolted down a concealed lockbox for small stuff. No cable to cut and a strong padlock should make most of them look for an easier target, especially if there's a band of fellow WSers bearing torches and brandishing pitchforks coming at him as he hammers away at the box.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi the key under the wheel well. HELLO. I leave my valuables at home.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps for my car, this has turned out to be simpler than originally thought. My car comes with a valet key, oddly enough the Subaru dealer where I purchased it isn't sure if it's okay to put the valet key in my wetsuit while surfing/windsurfing but a good friend that services cars for a living told me my valet key will be fine, there are no electronics in the plastic end. The dealer thought there might be a "chip" encased in the plastic but my friend says no. Just to be safe I'm going to have an extra valet key made, then go surfing with it! My 2014 Outback comes with a keyhole so looks like the solution is at hand!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do when sailing from my Subaru any place I bother to lock it.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to the Subaru dealer today and asked a different person in the parts department about the valet key. He says it does have a chip in it, a new valet key would cost $81.00, then a $45 dollar laser set up charge (laser cut) and then another $85 plus to program the key!!! With tax $224!!! And by coincidence, my daughter who is leaving next week for college in San Diego asked about having a key like the one I use on my 30 year old BMW, opens the doors and that's it, for our ML 320 model year 2000 that she will have in San Diego. My daughter likes to surf and wants to be able to lock the car as well. So now I go to the Mercedes dealer and the same type of laser cut key, including one with a chip encased in the plastic is $71.24!!! So I ordered a key for her but I'm not ordering a $224 valet key for a Subaru, I'll just use the one that came with the car until it gets wet enough not to work and wrap it in plenty of plastic.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a tiny bead of adhesive/caulk along the joint between the valet key's plastic and metal parts. That, plus Subaru techs' assurance that the valet key chip is well sealed, gives me confidence that my valet should stay functional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: