myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2014 Kona Worlds in Islamorada Florida
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: 2014 Kona Worlds in Islamorada Florida Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice this? http://class.konaone.com/Event/210/2014-kona-world-championships

45 sailors from 10 different countries are already registered, and the race is 6 months away. Nice.

In addition, there are 100 other events already scheduled world wide.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am registered and looking forward to it even though I think I may be getting in over my head. My goal is to finish every race. This will be my first Kona event. I wonder if Joachim knows that October is still hurricane season in the keys.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a nearly-new Kona One hull with fin & daggerboard & bag for sale, check the ads under "longboards".
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least 64 pre-registered now. Other than myself and Darbonne, is anyone else from this forum planning on going?
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about it - but it's basically a whole week long, which might be a bit much for me.

Are there still boards available?

I've never sailed a Kona.., and haven't even sailed any longboard in about 20 years, so it would be just for kicks.

I do a lot of sailboat racing, so i have a clue about that part of it, i just don't know much about sailing fast on a Kona.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - if anyone wants to share a room, i'm interested.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to check with the link on the original post to see if charter boards are still available. In addition, you'll have to give them your weight. There are 4 different adult Kona rigs. The one you will have to use is based on your weight. There's a possibility that they may still have hulls, but not the rig for your weight.

I personally know a few top notch racers who will be making a last minute decision on whether they're going. It would be a shame if they decided they wanted to go, and couldn't get a board. But if you snatched up the last one, their loss is your gain. Especially if you spend the next couple of months getting in long board racing shape.

Here's what 2014 Kona Europeans looked like: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=776839822373709&set=vb.165556806835350&type=2&theater
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talked with steve g about charter numbers approaching 100 boards..... amazing to see that type of turnout these dayz.

the space is good. wind will probably be great. get involved if you like races.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK jfeehan. You heard it. With 100 boards on the line, the course, and especially the first windward mark, will have to be waaaay out there to spread the fleet out. So, start practicing on any board with a big retractable centerboard.

Nothing like beating 40 boards and still being in the bottom half of the fleet!
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming to the Kona Worlds in Islamorada.

Maybe the fleet will be divided with such large numbers. Either way I should increase my knowledge about racing rules. My performance can't afford any 360s or 720s or disqualifications. Windsurfing racers in my experience are friendly and gracious and still quite competitive.

If my current plans work, the Kona Worlds will be my 6th event with a Kona class this year: Island Style Classic in Sarasota FL (Feb) Calema in Merritt Island FL (Mar), Dam Jam in Polk City IA (May), USWA Nationals in Worthington MN (Jun), WindPower in Fond du Lac WI (Sep), Mille Lacs Challenge in Garrison MN (Sep).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: