myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Escondido Beach (Malibu area) - A good place for a beginner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks summertime...just looked at the place in google maps. wow...it does look perfect. I'm assuming beginners usually stay east of the pier and experts would probably stay west and go in the open ocean?

Seeing what board I use above and my weight, would I be ok with a 5.8m? That is my smallest sail now and I don't want to be overpowered.

BTW, what is the temp inside the jetty and what time does the wind usually kick up?...I'm assuming I'd probably like to get there before it gets too strong?

Oh, is the vibe there pretty good?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox, You should plan to go to Cabrillo next week when we are supposed to have a heat wave. You will learn to water start quickly at "Hurricane Gulch"!!! It should be perfect for your ability.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox, Lake Castaic is known in some circles as Lake Mistake. If you've sailed there and are still into windsurfing, then you have the right stuff! If all is going well for you there, then great. But be careful in the massive Santa Ana days. The wind comes and goes quickly and that lake can eat you for lunch!

Just know about the nature of the place & don't let that place bum you out... At times the Santa Anas there can test even the most intrepid, dedicated windsurfer.

As recommended by just about everyone here, there are much, much, much more reliable, even-tempered spots around such as the inside non-ocean side of Cabrillo -- in the summer.

For Castaic, a few of the surrounding weather stations on Global.iWindsurf can give you a rough idea of what's happening there during Santa Ana weather patterns--
http://global.iwindsurf.com/map#34.559,-118.633,11,239516
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/8957

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 11.17.06 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.4 KB
 Viewed:  13007 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 11.17.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 11.17.36 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.34 KB
 Viewed:  13007 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 11.17.36 AM.png

capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 205 lb, your 5.8 will be a good size for the inside at Cabrillo. I used to sail both the inside and outside at Cabrillo. Definitely one of the most reliable windsurfing venues in SoCal.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
At 205 lb, your 5.8 will be a good size for the inside at Cabrillo. I used to sail both the inside and outside at Cabrillo. Definitely one of the most reliable windsurfing venues in SoCal.

You should visit sometime Surprised
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go to Castiac Lake...I think Geohaye said it perfectly, Lake Mistake...haha) yesterday.

Funny, I thought my new sail would somehow make it easier to sail there. Geez, the wind was light and when it did get a little stronger, it was because a gust came through and it only lasted about 15 secs at the most. Then it dropped to next to nothing. Frustrating for sure. I made the best of it however and was actually able to drop down a little lower and feel the resistance against the sail, but then it was over.

So...I have finally decided that enough is enough and if I am ever going to get better at this sport, I need to listen to all of you. So, I will check with the wife to see what is going on for next weekend and if I get the green light, I'm heading to Cabrillo (probably Saturday).

I read that it is good for beginners to get there early so I'm planning to get in the water by 11am. I figure, even if there's no wind, I'm at the beach ; )'.

I think it will feel really good to get some clean wind.

It looks from my house to be about 57 miles so only 8 miles longer than Castiac. Traffic estimate is 1hr and 26mins so about 25mins longer than Castiac. So not a big deal. At least I won't have to pay for a board check Smile'.

So if you see a tall guy with a shaved head, beard and tattoos and a big a$$ board and an EZZY Legacy 5.8m sail, please stop by and say Hi. I promise not to ask you too many questions...; )'.

Thanks for all the advice!
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask...if you were me, would you plan to try to get into the straps or should I leave those off? So far I've not gotten into the straps nor hooked in.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always be prepared and have your straps attached to the board. However, if you have multiple inserts for your strap locations, I would suggest using those most forward and inboard until you feel comfortable moving back into them. Also, you should feel at home with straps on the board even if you aren't using them. When slogging around, the straps usually aren't in the way.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not bring your wife and kids? It's a nice place for them to enjoy the water and sand and have a picnic. Good luck and have fun!
lunchbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@swchandler - Thanks. Good to know. Straps are going on. It's got multiple attachment points so I'll set up as you recommended.

@summertime - I tried. Thought it would be fun. Looks like a nice beach and was planning on bringing the SUP's as well. Maybe I can convince them next time? I'm still shooting for this Saturday. No worries though...this way I can stay as long as I wanat Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: