myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Out of control at Rowena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nebkoohs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the kiter that landed on poor SeaTurtle. My name is Ben. Boy, am I embarrassed and chagrined that I did that. I've been kiting for years, but never at Rowena; all of what you've said is true: the folks who launched me (at the East end) warned my kite was too big. My only explanation is that I misjudged: the water did not seem to be nearly as white-capped as I'm used to for 30 click wind. In my career kiting (all over the world), I've never had a mishap like this. I apologize profusely.

I want to offer one clarification and one comment.

Clarification: I was not "landing" at the sailors' West side of Rowena! I was so overpowered that I could not turn my kite well for a jibe and pulled the suicide. (The five line North Rebel goes to 99% de-power when the kiter does this.) I was then drifting to shore, trying desperately NOT to be in anyone's way. SeaTurtle had more than 60 seconds to simply get out of the way of the kite drifting towards her, de-powered. She was a deer in the headlights and lost all control of her ability-seemingly-to make any move whatsoever and simply let the kite and lines drift across her. I am not justifying my mistake... but what happened to me was just that: a simple mistake and I performed the way any kiter would, concerned about being yarded onto the rocks. I'm afraid that SeaTurtle thought the kite and lines were more dangerous than they were; of course it is not ideal to become tangled in them, in this situation, but her life was not in peril, aside from her reaction to the situation, which was so out of control that she was unable to act in her own best interest. I'm very sorry to have been the instigator of this episode; I certainly should not have been out in those conditions on an 11m kite!

Comment: this is a somewhat extreme sport and, as you all know, shit happens... unfortunately. (Normally it I who come to the rescue of others in trouble.) I was shocked at how out of control several people were in this situation. Two of those who came to "help" were threatening to "beat" me, and SeaTurtle could not gain composure. The kite was de-powered and needed to simply be put down, there was absolutely no load on the lines. Rather than calmly addressing the situation, I was mobbed with anger and emotions escalated, with repeated threats from windsurfers to beat me. I maintained composure, trying to calm people down, which sort of worked after about ten minutes. I was surprised by the reaction because MUCH more serious incidents can arise in this sport, with real injury and real damage to property. The park volunteer was so worked up, he was repeatedly "threatening" to call the Sheriff, which I encouraged him to do, as I would have reported the threats to my well being. Just to be clear: what I did was an accident, something for which I am indeed sorry... and was in no way a criminal act. Threatening me, on the other hand, is actually a crime. Furthermore, it is not a crime to defend oneself if attacked, which I would have succeeded in doing, being a trained martial arts teacher. I would simply encourage those of you involved here to remain more calm in situations requiring immediate action, act rationally, get the situation sorted quickly... and THEN if someone's actions were so egregious or misdirected (which I don't believe mine were), deal with it in an adult fashion. I broke up a fight between surfers-in the water-years ago in San Diego and the guy who instigated the fight really hurt the other fellow; I learned later that he was sentenced to 50 months for assault.

Anyway, I don't think changing signage or policy will really do much to prevent a future occurrence like this... it was a stupid mistake on my part and unfortunately happened to involve SeaTurtle. I am very sorry SeaTurtle and next time I come to Rowena I'll be more respectful of the kite area, rig appropriately, and happily buy you all lunch.
SeaTurtle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Stay in the kiting area. Reply with quote

How could you actually see what I was doing for 60 seconds way down at the other end of your lines? I was trying to protect myself and my dog from become tangled in the lines. It was terrifying!!! I was holding both sets of lines over my head trying to figure out what the heck to do with them, until the kite landed on me. Then I decided to ditch my gear to save my life. Regardless if you thought I was in danger or not, I knew I was.

I'm sure you've seen a runaway kite twisting down the river. I've seen 2 at Rowena in the past 2-3 years, it's not good.

It's over behind us and we were not hurt. I think if you are at a new sailing site & someone suggested your 11 meter kite was too big, you should have listened. You seem reasonable, so I know you will listen next time.

Please move on & please STAY IN THE KITING AREA. We will all be happier & enjoy our chosen sports.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused as to why your dog was with you in the water when you were launching. Can you clarify? Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebkoohs wrote:
I am the kiter that landed on poor SeaTurtle. My name is Ben.

Not THE infamous "Bennie/Benito", I hope. If so, your dangerous criminal reputation precedes you, your apology falls on deaf ears, and you are not welcome in the Gorge ... hell, in the U.S.

If that's not you, I'll at least concur with the deer-in-the-headlights observation IN GENERAL (I wouldn't know about SeaTurtle). Many people on the water sail more like passengers than drivers, and they lack the skills to dodge trouble or even sail competently in crowds.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay in the kiting area. Reply with quote

SeaTurtle wrote:
Please move on & please STAY IN THE KITING AREA. We will all be happier & enjoy our chosen sports.

There isn't a "Kiting area" at Rowena. There is a designated kite launch area, but if Ben was "out of control and dumping the power of the kite" like he said, then it really isn't reasonable to expect him not to stray into the windsurf launch area anymore than it would be unreasonable to expect beginners at the Event Site to stay off the sandbar (kite launch) when they have problems. Once on the water, we all share the same space. Kiters come up wind, and windsurfers go downwind to "in betweens".

Kites aren't going anywhere (just like snowboards), they are here to stay. Windsurfers need to accept that. I totally don't understand why if an ACCIDENT happens why people are threatening to use violence. That is just plain dumb (and like Ben mentioned, criminal).

And Ben, the majority of windsurfers have a fear of kites because they don't understand them and have seen their share of kiters doing stupid stuff. So while you may know she wasn't in danger, she wouldn't know that since it is outside her experience.

People never react the way you think they should......
philodog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebkoohs, that was a very humble apology, way to man up rather than get defensive. SeaTurtle, get over it, shyte happens. His explanation made complete sense, your lucky to get such an apology.
I had a reverse deer in the headlights episode at the Wall last week. A female kiter lost her board and had her kite straight up in the air as she retrieved it. I surfed a swell and went downwind of her and she just started screaming bloody murder and pointing at her kite. I was nowhere near being TOO close, she was just in over her head and thought that should be my problem. Why do kiters ride at the Wall anyway? It`s not like the Hatch where it`s the best swell around. It`s good everywhere there.
GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay in the kiting area. Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
on the water, we all share the same space. Kiters come up wind, and windsurfers go downwind to "in betweens".

And let's keep it this way, because the best windsurfing at Rowena is downwind. Wink

nebkoohs, that was a nice gesture of your part to come up front and apologize like that.

Wish that Californian windsurfer that cut me off real bad on the water 2 weeks ago at the Hatch would do the same.

Hers's the full story.

The guy is upwind of me and is doing this incredible downwind in my direction. I rapidly got my back foot of the strap, opened my sail to slow down to avoid a collision as the guy cut me off, maybe 2 feet from my board.

He blew his jibe on the Oregon side, so I turned around him, stopped and told him:

"You really cut me off, you know..."

Loved his answer:

"I didn't even see ya, so relax man" Cool
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stay in the kiting area. Reply with quote

Tourists. ;*)

-Craig

GuyT wrote:

"You really cut me off, you know..."

Loved his answer:

"I didn't even see ya, so relax man" Cool
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we should all be happy(?) that windsurfing is a somewhat dying sport - many have gotten out of it because of cost, age, or kiting. That alone seems to have made the water a lot more open in any site I sail. Accidents happen. Period. I have yet to see someone rig up with the intention of hurting themselves or someone else. If you see someone is out of control, get the FLUCK out of the way or help if possible. If you really want to be scared for your life, break down at Rufus in March. Otherwise, in 71F water at a calm site like Rowena, take it down a notch on the hysterics. I love dogs and have my own. But I would never take her to a busy waterfront site completely in the way of the launch area. That shows just as much irresponsibility IMO.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my story.
I was on port tack, on a beam reach when this guy came right at me from upwind! I hollered at him " hello, do you see me? He couldn't hear cause he was on the phone! My shopping cart was only dinged slightly. Thank God I had on a helmet.
Just because it's the Safeway parking lot doesn't mean everyone does it the safe-way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: