myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
#@!&* booties
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: #@!&* booties Reply with quote

If I was an expert and never fell I wouldn't have to wear booties but that's not the case. Booties need to do 4 things for me.
1. Protect the bottom of my feet from the reef
2. Fit snugly, especially side to side
3. Keep sand out
4. Keep water out (clown shoes)
So first I settled on O'neil 3.5 mm split toe, http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Mens-Psychofreak-Split/dp/B0088009YQ. Clown shoes, water gets trapped inside, a lot of water. There is 1/2" space on each side of my foot so getting in the footstraps requires jamming the foot in then wiggling to get all the way in, not good. On the plus side no sand gets in and the sole is thick. The problem is my feet are quite narrow and they are not stretchy so I cannot wear a smaller size or my toes will hurt.
Then I tried Vibram 5 fingers, http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Maiori-Mens.htm?activity=watersport
Fits snug, no clown shoes, thick sole but so much sand gets in it accumulates in the toes and eventually pushes out the toes, not good.
Finally tried Rip curl 1.5mm split toe, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OPWQ8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OK now we are getting somewhere, O'neil's I had to wear in size 13, these I can wear in size 11 because they are so stretchy. I tied them in the pool and they fit the tightest of all three, also the most comfortable, no excess water gets in and I cannot imagine any sand getting in with the strap around the ankle. But 3 out of 4 because the sole is very thin.
So I am looking for ideas to make the soles thicker on the rip curls, somehow glue some more rubber on the bottom without effecting the stretchiness, or an insole?
And I'm looking for ideas to keep the sand out of the 5 fingers, some sort of gaiter around the ankle covering the top of the bootie. I was thinking perhaps take part of the arm of an old wetsuit and make a gaiter that way or buy a latex drysuit wrist seal?
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke a hole in the heel of your booties, allowing the water to escape. A small nail hole, like a framing #16, does the job just fine. About 3/32 of an inch. Almost no water enters thru that hole.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolimit Global Series is a bootie with a strap across the instep, and a drawstring around the top. Not much water gets in, and they are pretty secure.

I don't like booties, but they are a necessary evil where we sail. The Prolimits are actually quite good.

Actually, it is the Prolimit Global shoe that we use.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Body Glove's Barefoot Max 3T (3-toed) booties. I don't know how well their drainage mesh empties sand, but they go into and out of loose footstraps well. I wear size 13 shoes, but wear these 3T booties in size 10 or 11. Their 3 toes are FAR easier to get into than Vibram's 5 toes.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, are you referring to these? They look good to me... What about sole thickness, how would you qualify it?

http://www.sears.ca/product/body-glove-mens-barefoot-max-multi-use-surf-shoe/667-000339150-3T_4_BAREFOOT_4_MAX
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a pair of Okespor Kite Low booties. They come highly recommended from my buddy Tommy at Gulfport Boardsports. He said they fit like a glove and are easy to get in and out of the straps. I didn't even know about the Okespor brand. They have some great looking footwear that look very functional as well. I'll let you know.

http://www.okespor.com/product.php?productid=20
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
Iso, are you referring to these? They look good to me... What about sole thickness, how would you qualify it?

http://www.sears.ca/product/body-glove-mens-barefoot-max-multi-use-surf-shoe/667-000339150-3T_4_BAREFOOT_4_MAX

Thin ... but many people run long distances in them. I got mine from
http://tinyurl.com/ocqa3s3 for <$30 incl shipping.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Body gloves look good and the price is right but they look like they would suck in a ton of sand without a tall ankle part with a strap.
Any ideas for making the soles of booties thicker?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,

The only thing bothering me is the sizing. Are you a true 13, or are you using longer shoes to compensate for feet width?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based purely on heel-to-big-toe length, 12.5s fit fine. But 13's just feel better ... full toe room yet no tripping tendency. 12s are too short for long-term comfort, and I have a very comfortable pair of 14s. Width isn't an issue, as my feet are relatively narrow. In fact, I have to buy shorter laces for almost all sneakers because the stocks are a foot too long once snugged onto my flat, narrowish feet. But in 3- or 5-toed shoes, as the Vibram website shows, the big toe should lightly touch its end even when the heel is snugged tightly into its pocket.

As for thicker soles ... in my cheapskate college days, I deliberately walked across freshly poured asphalt pavement whenever my shoe soles got too thin. A better solution might be to peruse Body Glove's and Vibrams other models; both brands have many models with varying features.

Given both unknowns ... size and design ... I'd try and buy them in a local store. I bought my first Vibrams at REI's garage sales for $10-$20 used, and my first Body Gloves at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store at $35. Only when they ran out did I go online, because the local store earned its premium by stocking them and helping me fit them.

A bud says Vibrams stick fiercely in footstraps, but my BGs do not, at least on my back strap, which is deliberately loose to protect my repaired knee. I have no front footstrap on that side for that reason, and wear only one bootie to ensure that foot does not slide. (Laugh all ya want, but it beats not sailing or sailing strapless, as I did until this week. Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: