myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3D Printing Fins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:
Well done! I am curious about your materials I know 3D printers use HDPE but it looks like you glassed over that with resin and glass. Normally the two don't stick well to each other. Most plastic fin manufacturers use a composite plastic with fibers or other fillers added to stiffen up the fin. Can you use different plastic compositions in your printer?
Once again well done.

This was printed in Ultem 9085, which is an aerospace grade material meant for high strength and high heat resistance. Its the strongest material I can print with on the machines that are available for me. I did two coats of marine 2-part epoxy to fill in any missing voids.

I am doing this as a project for work and am putting together a video about the whole process. I'll post it here as well and it will have all the details of the build and post-processing
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Cool project. I'm curious to know what program you used to model the fin and how you developed the profiles?

SolidWorks. I used a NACA airfoil profile to work off of and the design wasn't 100% complete before I printed it, due to time constraints. It required quite a bit of sanding afterwards to make the profiles smooth and consistent. If I reprint another one I am going to clean up the design a bit.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
doremmg wrote:
my idea was to make this as simple as possible.

We timid souls who think boards and fins are made on Mars by elves rolled our eyes at that observation. To us, "simple" means buying such stuff off a shelf at a shop or swap meet. Just skimming this thread took me longer than acquiring a new fin does.

The point wasn't to acquire a fin as easily as possible, it was to 3d print and sail a fin as easily as possible Smile
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the experimenters & makers of fins are nuts or gods is somewhat irrelevant when considering if they deserve our sympathy or reverence. We as riders are one of the mysterious materials they must in effect work with. That is enough to arouse our sympathy and the windsurfing results we experience are enough to arouse our reverence.

Thanks.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the video of the process and sailing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRxfi8trNs&list=UUbyfTNYTe5sxX58H0xz73KQ

On a side note: this is the first time I've seen myself attempt a plaining jybe, now I know what to work on!
letushka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very cool project. Smile Especially for RD.

If it costs to print a fin a few bucks who cares if it's going to snap after 10-20 sessions. If you are a good enough sailor you will be able to slog back fine without a fin. Actually snapping a fin would probably be a better option hitting a hard object than breaking your fin box..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: