myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seriously Stuck Fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Has no one suggested spraying the base of the fin with triflow oil or PB Blaster? Turn the board bottom side up and spray the base liberally with the lubricant. Let it sit for 24 hrs. and re-apply so the lubricant can soak in. Then pound the fin out using the screw, with proceedure outlined previously.

Yes, Dan and I both suggested that.

bse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:
I would suggest making an adapter (just fittings and tubing from home depot) to get water pressure into the fin screw holes. Then flex the fin in the box side-to-side to try to get some water to get between the fin and the box. Once a little water begins to work its way through, you can continue to flex the fin and more water will flush the joint and you should be able to tap it out. You'll get wet, but it should work. If it doesn't, someone glued it in! Shocked

It wouldn't surprise me if a regular old pressure washer carefully sprayed into the joint from the top, would cause the plastic to both deform enough to get any grit out and wash it (the grit) out while we're at it.

OP had better let us know how this resolves!!
windswell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Poster Here. As my first sentence said "I've HAD a Tuttle Fin stuck for over a year." Thanks for all your ideas and for adding to the knowledge base here, but the method pictured on page 1 of this worked fine, after trying many, but not all, of your suggestions. It's definitely a last resort kind of thing, but worked. Fin and board survived just fine.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I was going to suggest setting up a loudspeaker in front of it and playing Nirvana at high volume to vibrate it out. Glad everything worked out fine to board and fin! I kind of liked the ice bucket idea, hoping it would just fall out.

Cheers!
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the true culprit here is the TrueAmes weed fin. OK before some people jump all over my sh*t about saying that, I have had and still do and will buy more TrueAmes weed fins but I have to say the fit of the fins the last 5-6 years has su*ked. Personally I blame the board makers (cobra) for not keeping a good eye on the standard fin box specs they make their own boxes and don't always meet the original manufacture (Chinook, ext) specs for the sizes of the boxes. But looking at the picture I think the O.P. never filed and sanded the fin to fit they just cranked/hammered it into the box and created a real bad situation. There-for my solution would be a sawzall! Not a lot in this world that cannot be fixed with that wonder tool!
fxop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
Original Poster Here. As my first sentence said "I've HAD a Tuttle Fin stuck for over a year."

Actually "I've had" is present perfect tense, implying the condition is ongoing "for over a year", and thus the rush by everyone to help.

If you had said "I had" and showed your elegant solution then all could have admired your work at their leisure.

fxop
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^ what he said, say what you mean, and mean what you say.

You might wake up some morning, and find that fin stuck back in your board again, but backwards. Wink
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
^^^^^^^^ what he said, say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Does this look familiar nw30?

Hypocrite.

nw30.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.43 KB
 Viewed:  12845 Time(s)

nw30.jpg

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you say Regina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORyEX_5czg
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, now that the fin is out, I would highly recommend spraying the fin base with mclube sailkote at regular intervals to prevent this from ever happening again.

Since your fin is a weed fin, you could also spray the whole fin with sailkote to help weeds shed from the fin, as well as increase your speed through the water due to reduced friction.

Also, spray all pulleys and moving parts with sailkote to keep them moving optimally.

Also, if any of your sails, or parts of sails (like northwave ZX sails) are dacron, coat them with sailkote by using the liquid.

no, I don't work for Team McLube but use this stuff in all of the above describe ways and used it on many parts of sailboats and sailboat sails for years. It is wonderful (it's basically just teflon)

Have a great day!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: