myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to use swell to get going?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
iseen lots of folks go very long distances on every tack to avoid jibing more. actions speak louder than words. i hear these folks say the words that they wish to jibe better. yet, they keep doing the same thing.

Very true -- and Guilty, yer honor! -- and also apples to learning to waterstart. Until it was waterstart or not sail due to big chop, I'd try a waterstart but revert to uphauling in about 10 seconds to get on with the fun part. We must sacrifice some of the fun in the short term if our overriding objective is to progress with the challenging parts. That includes taking the time to go shore, rig up, and head back out when planing is a problem and we have bigger options. It also includes more shopping if that problem is common and we lack bigger options.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always advised that for someone to move through the learning curve as fast as possible, that every time they get on the water, they start by doing at least 10 (preferably 20) tacks and gybes with only 20 yards between each before going on the long reaches. It's normal to avoid what's uncomfortable, but always pushing the limits speeds the learning process immensely.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to sail in conditions like that! Fully released and on plane in 10 m so I can carve jibe straight away!!!

The problem with the patchy wind I get is that once you are going, you want to enjoy it... Anyway, setting up objectives is a good thing !
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one sailboarder!

Heck, when powered up in marginal winds, I rarely stop till I nearly ram one of those idiotic pesky windmill thingies (why do they call them farms?) they're fond of plonking out in the middle of the North Sea. (Confounded eyesores! Mad )

We now have 40 of them, a couple of miles out from our surf beach, along with a bad tempered bilious Scotsman in a motor patrol boat who shoos and chases us windsurfers away from his whirling monstrosities. (But he can't catch us. Laughing )
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgletrousers, will that Scotsman be sent packing home soon if his countrymen vote to secede?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad tempered scrote like him - I sincerely hope so. (And he can take his whirlygig thingies with him!!!!!)

On the other hand, Western Scotland with its myriad islands (Skye, Mull, Iona, Staffa (Fingals cave)) is my classic longboard cruising playground, and I've no longer got a valid passport.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I'd love to sail in conditions like that! Fully released and on plane in 10 m so I can carve jibe straight away!!!

The problem with the patchy wind I get is that once you are going, you want to enjoy it... Anyway, setting up objectives is a good thing !

Wow, you nailed it! Light planing conditions turn into full planing fun if we sail actively and are able to link puffs without falling off a plane. Note I did not say, "falling into the water" as that seems part of the fastest learning curve.

Unless you are 18-26 years-old, constantly pumping to a plane isn't a fun way to spend a day. I now know why that advice I gave older windsurfers during that phase of my life fell on deaf ears.

While pumping and using swell to accelerate is important to maximize planing time and minimizing overall exertion, choosing the right gear remains paramount. If you cannot plane, change something. Even a more powerful fin or some rig tuning turns many marginal sessions into days full of long planing and powered up joy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: