myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SFB Speed King Event
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: SFB Speed King Event Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
tramontana00 wrote:
September 12th to October 25th:

Great dates: will be lucky to find a day with 15 knots of wind ... why not do it in December and have a chance to see no wind at all!

Yes, late start this year for sure but still enough time for some good sessions. I spent some time sailing in the Bay this Summer and promoting gps speedsurfing idea. SFB has great windsurfing community that can benefit from some kind of organized speedsurfing catering to local sailors. I think this event is a very good starting point. Remember, goal here is to win the event, everyone gets the same wind. Next year event will be from March to October and possibly include some other spots as well.
Other events with different format can be started at any time, depending on interest.
It is good to hear input from all who are interested.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
paypal wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
Hmmm, Mike I'm very interested in this Hart's beach...May drive up there when conditions look strong. Any input Boris?

-Kevin

Beware the man in the grey suit!

Yea..Olivier was telling me about that...hmmm ...speed...sharks...hmmm tough one lol

I visited this place only once. Unfortunately wind was very light. Doran looks like it could work really good for nautical mile run.
For Bodega, bring your booties and weed fin. Place is infested with stingrays. Steping on one would be no fun.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Boris may be a bit confused, it's speedsailing. Speedsurfing is that weird thing they do in Europe wearing speedos! Maybe that's the right name for the things they do down in San Francisco. It you want some real speedsailing head up to Northwest where the fastest speeds on a windsurfer in the USA have all been recorded. Also it's too cold to wear speedos up here! Season starts in October at ARooBar just inside the mouth of the mighty Columbia river.

Roo
Speedsailor without speedos

Last edited by SpeedRoo on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are those fastest speeds ever recorded?
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max speed around 46 knots, 500 m 41 knots
fearlu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So fun to race for pink-slips like this using GPS! The off-shore conditions at Doran/Hart's had me swimming my speed needle back in the day at the Barcardi Breezer California Boardsailor Speedcheck. (You know, "trolling for Whitey"!) Laughing
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal wrote:
I think Boris may be a bit confused, it's speedsailing. Speedsurfing is that weird thing they do in Europe wearing speedos! Maybe that's the right name for the things they do down in San Francisco. It you want some real speedsailing head up to Northwest where the fastest speeds on a windsurfer in the USA have all been recorded. Also it's too cold to wear speedos up here! Season starts in October at ARooBar just inside the mouth of the mighty Columbia river.

Roo

Most of us are aware of ARooBar. There is time and place for everything. Come down for a week or so and have some fun sailing around the Bay. We take speedoless sailors too, just bring your fast kit.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to go to the Bay to go quick, can go just as fast up here in the Gorge! It always the right time to go fast and ARooBar is the place to do it. We can always have a King of the Columbia.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="paypal"]I think Boris may be a bit confused, it's speedsailing. Speedsurfing is that weird thing they do in Europe wearing speedos!

Roo

its a European thing indeed - "windsurfing" here is called "surfing" there, hence the GPS speed site is "GPS-Speedsurfing"
just go fast already!
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Harts / Bodega

Harts beach is a small strip of sand adjacent to the public boat launch ramp at Doran. It is a launch point for sailing in the Bodega harbor channel. People who use this for speed sailing, typically do so during low tides during peak wind season (Jan-Apr). During this part of the season, the water and air can be quite cold, and the wind typically is quite gusty.

Entry to Doran is $7 for day use, or $69 for an annual pass (good at all Sonoma County Parks locations).

I have sailed there a few times, but have come to recognize that my skills (especially jibes) are insufficient to sail there safely. The channel can at times be quite busy with commercial and personal boat traffic. USCG Station Bodega Bay is located there, and when a 47 MLB gets dispatched on an emergency call, I do not want be in their way.

During peak wind season, there are maybe 5-7 regulars at Harts during its best conditions. One sailor said that his GPS showed 42 MPH on one reach, and I recall that winds that day were gusting to around 35 MPH.

There are reports that a Great White was seen disassembling a seal right off the USCG station, and that someone photographed it. I have not seen the pictures, and do not know when this was claimed to have happened.

I sail Bodega regularly, and launch at the little bit of beach adjacent to Bodega Harbour Yacht Club. Bat rays can be fairly numerous there, and I have seen leopard sharks while paddleboarding. Weed fins are necessary during much of the season on that side of the harbor due to eel grass. I do not believe that eel grass is a factor in the channel at Harts.

I would not rate the bat rays as a real hazard, but one needs to be aware that they are there. I was once splashed by a large one trying to move rapidly away from my board, but that is the worst that has happened.

One person claimed to have seen a Great White in the channel near the Yacht Club launch early last year. I have never seen one there, and I would like to believe it unlikely that one would travel all the way up and around the harbor channel, but maybe it happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: