myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I'm 15, starting to windsurf and I'm looking for advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drago_motus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: I'm 15, starting to windsurf and I'm looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi Looking for advice on how much i should pay for my first board I'm not looking for a nice one. I will most likely get a old or used one and I don't know how much i should pay for a crappy one. I'm also looking for cheap equipment.

thank for the help.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your minimum requirements include a clamp-on (not tie-on, with knots and all) boom and a big floaty board of 200 or more liters. You should be able to fill those squares for a hundred bucks from someone's attic or garage. As long as you realize and accept that it is crappy by today's standards, and look only at the fun and learning it will provide, you will get stoked and have lots of fun. That's pretty good return on your money.

Your meager funds at this stage are far better spent on professional lessons. You can't comprehend how valuable they are to your progress and your valid appraisal of the sport. At the very least you must buy some beginner instructional videos, then go find those lessons if not readily available.

Mike \m/
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm 15, starting to windsurf and I'm looking for advice Reply with quote

drago_motus wrote:
Hi Looking for advice on how much i should pay for my first board I'm not looking for a nice one. I will most likely get a old or used one and I don't know how much i should pay for a crappy one. I'm also looking for cheap equipment.

thank for the help.

Drago, contact the CGWA. They have loads of used stuff suitable for beginners they will practically give to you.

CU Sailin'

trburl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check your iWindsurf private message inbox. Thanks and welcome!
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drago, welcome aboard!!! Seriously,if you go to your local sailing spot and talk to the older sailors, chances are you'll get a decent quiver of gear for next to nothing. All you have to do is hang out and listen to a few stories (lies) of the glory days of our sport. For some good inspiration, check out the careers of young guns Kai Lenny, Connor Baxter, Zane Schweiter, Graham Ezzy... I met these guys in Maui when they were about your age. Today they rule !!! Bull out!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are messing around in the Columbia, first, get a wetsuit. At least get a 3/2, maybe even a 4/3. (With a 4/3, you could goof around in Pacific surf.) If you are on Vancouver Lake or something else shallow and stagnant, you might be able to sneak by without one for most of the season. Just get a cheap one because you are probably still growing. Goodwill, Craigslist, swap meets, etc. There are (approximately) 5 swap meets in the Gorge every year. Also, get some sort of tough watershoe that will not slip off. I think even some Chuck Taylor low-tops would be good. Protect your feet!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
get a wetsuit. ...Just get a cheap one because you are probably still growing. Goodwill, Craigslist, swap meets, etc.

2nd Wind in Hood River. Wide variety of brands and models, new to slightly used, 20 to 40 cents on the dollar.

CGWA at next swap meet (April). Big selection, sometimes a gem for $10.
ascott72

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say where you will be sailing. Could affect both the type of gear that is right for your local conditions and also what is available in the area.

Big boards and small sails are better for learning. The bigger/smaller, the better.However, if you don't have a lot of money and are going to keep your gear for a while, a slightly smaller board and slightly bigger sail will be better. I learned in highschool on a 135 liter board and 5.0 sail. Kept the board for several years and got some additional sails to expand my wind range. It was not as windy as the Gorge though. If you do it right, you won't need a new board until you have learned footstraps, harness, waterstart, the beginnings of carve gybing and are ready to advance to higher winds.

A wetsuit is a very good idea too.

For gear check Craigslist and if you are near the Gorge, CGWA swap meets and the consignment gear at Windance and 2nd Wind. And as someone else mentioned, if you hang out at the local sailing sites, some of the older guys are likely to have some old gear they may be willing to let go of cheap or even free.

For instruction buy a book or video or you can probably find stuff on YouTube as well. A lesson will be very helpful if you can afford it.
ascott72

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say where you will be sailing. Could affect both the type of gear that is right for your local conditions and also what is available in the area.

Big boards and small sails are better for learning. The bigger/smaller, the better.However, if you don't have a lot of money and are going to keep your gear for a while, a slightly smaller board and slightly bigger sail will be better. I learned in highschool on a 135 liter board and 5.0 sail. Kept the board for several years and got some additional sails to expand my wind range. It was not as windy as the Gorge though. If you do it right, you won't need a new board until you have learned footstraps, harness, waterstart, the beginnings of carve gybing and are ready to advance to higher winds.

A wetsuit is a very good idea too.

For gear check Craigslist and if you are near the Gorge, CGWA swap meets and the consignment gear at Windance and 2nd Wind. And as someone else mentioned, if you hang out at the local sailing sites, some of the older guys are likely to have some old gear they may be willing to let go of cheap or even free.

For instruction buy a book or video or you can probably find stuff on YouTube as well. A lesson will be very helpful if you can afford it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: