myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet 10'0 WindSUP review +++

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Exocet 10'0 WindSUP review +++ Reply with quote

Just a quick report about the 2013 10' Exocet WindSUP board that was recommended by James Douglas and John Ingebritsen initially after my previous post:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28247

I was looking for an everyday board that I can use at my homespot, a bay with unstable winds, swell and difficult to launch onshore conditions. Before I used the 200L 10'10 Naish Nalu which was a very stable platform but lacked upwind performance and was too big and heavy to loosen up.
I basically wanted an all-round light/medium wind surfboard that would still be a good paddle in flat water and fun in small waves in SUP mode. I board that would perform in a wide range of conditions without too many sacrifices.
I described my quest as 50% windsurfing, 30% flat water paddling, 20% small and light wind wave riding both SUP and WS.

I also wanted a SAFE board that can take me back home after the wind completely drops or shifts. With my previous Nalu SUP I started strapping the paddle to the boom and learned to rig and de-rig in open water. I love off-shore sailing in oceans swell's and being all on myself out there, sometimes up to 5 miles from the coast.

We'll after my first few sessions I am stoked!!
This board is everything I expected, and even more..

I had it out the first time with a 6.6 and the standard fin in choppy water about -20 knots and could not believe how easily and fast the board got onto a plane. With a big grin I just wanted to yell at everyone "SUP'S DON'T PLANE HAHAHA"
The fat nose and the small V in the mid sections work great in the chop. And the step tail with the fish really feel almost like a shortboard with volume! What a difference with the banana rocker on my old Nalu, when planing it felt like dragging a bucket.

I tried the board paddling in flat water, happy. Sure my old 10'10 had more glide and tracking, about 10 strokes on each side but the Exocet does still about 6 strokes, about the same than my girlfriends all-round 9'5 Naish Mana. Again all the stability is in the nose and the mid sections, the moment you step back the board becomes seriously loose with a wave fin in the PB. I am very curious about surfing small waves in SUP mode..
btw I love the leash-like inserts everywhere on the bow which can be used to tie up my grab bag with keys, telephone etc. Or tie up the rig or moor up on a buoy to go snorkeling.

The other day was a great session to test the board in both flat water and waves. I rigged a 7.8 for 15 knots in flatwater, once out (very quickly with the daggerboard) the wind dropped to 10 knots but with some pumping and riding the gusts I kept the board up planing. In the flat water I noticed the WindSUP goes very gradually between gliding/sub-planing and planing. So not the on/off feeling you get on most shortboards. I also tried some upwind tracks while kicking the daggerboard up or down and the difference is very noticeable. I think you can point about 10 degrees higher at least.
Once passed a long wall I had access to more wind, 20 knots with about 1-1.5m swell. I started getting out more with each run between the flat water and reaching in the wave section, a complete blast! Running broad reaches the boards surfs very easily and the volume really helps keeping things under control. When I lost the rig one moment - without falling in the water, yes you can actually stay dry on this board - the daggerboard helped stabilizing when up hauling. Same for a quick tack in the waves, just kick down the daggerboard and up again after the tack. The wind got stronger, I would say 20-25 knots with 1.5-2m waves. I should come in with my 7.8 sail but had too much fun so I just cranked the down- and out haul. On a beat things started to get a bit rough. The board with the fat nose behaved very good going over the waves but it became more difficult to keep my feet steady. Foot straps would really help here riding the bronco. But I wore a seat harness and started pushing my feet against the rail. Sooner or later I will have to install some straps, I noticed the inserts are pretty well layed out for my stance.
The downwind runs were just awesome! I always fell in control of the board, even running very deep. Big difference with my old Nalu which was not loose enough to keep up with the apparent wind angles.

So so far I am very happy with the board which should give me a lot more time on the water than before.
I was a bit concerned about the daggerboard but now I am very happy with this option. It surely adds to the total weight of the board, I guess about 15kg including the dagger, uffff. To take out the daggerboard you need to push a pin in the box with a screwdriver, a bit annoying but I am sure there is a reason for that in the surf etc.

I will try to make a movie the next session with the GoPro.
For now I can show some quick snaps from my beach bike setup with a pair of SupWheels. If anyone is interested I can also make some more photos of the rocker etc.

Thanks again to James and John and also to Rod Rudduck from Kona NZ for sharing his experience with his personal 10'er with me.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  14557 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.78 MB

image.jpg

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! You peddle to paddle! I like the trailer. I am close to my favorite launch and hate driving such a short distance. Did you make the trailer?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on Amazon or Google and search Kayak wheels. You will find many selections.
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky check out http://www.supwheels.com
You can also store the wheels on the bow of your board but I don't have to because I live in a small town and there are no idiots to steal gear left on the beach.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wheels meant to transport kayak or canoes that may not require to remove the fin since they are higher.

I like your hitch, and never thought of using the mast extension to carry the harness.

It's definitely feasible for me too and I will try next year. It's allready cold here, so I don't feel like pedaling with booties, steamer, and all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: