myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winthrop Beach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthony2512

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Winthrop Beach? Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I used to sail and windsurf when I was a teenager. For a very long time I was not able to due to where I was living, and kept my equipment in storage. I just recently moved to Winthrop beach, could anyone tell me if it's ok to go windsurfing there? So far I've seen kayaks and some jet skis. I don't really mind if I'm the only one windsurfing there, I'd just like to know if I would run into any problems?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yirrell is the last beach before Deer Island. Decent sized ,half moon shaped beach ,perfect for kiting and windsurfing. Very few even know this beach is out there. I had never heard of it till I started kiting. When looking out to the ocean from the beach the left side will get very shallow at low to mid tide,so keep an eye on your fin. The best thing to do is go at dead low tide and get a feel for the bottom locations. Yirrell will often have much better wind than Revere or Nahant. NE,E, are best, SE can be okay but a little gusty.I have heard the waves out there can be excellent..

good luck
anthony2512

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mat-ty, good to know! I actually live right on the beach with the 5 sisters though so I'm interested to know if I can windsurf in that area. The water in-between the 5 sisters and the large condos seems like a good spot.

Nice to know I could sail down by Yirrell though. Good point on low tides. Most of my windsurfing when I was younger was done on Indian Lake in Worcester. I've gone to Kalmus a few times though, and sailed some boats on the Charles river.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Nahant when you can.. As good as anything on the Cape when the wind is up!!
anthony2512

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check it out. Would I run into any problems from officials if I windsurf by Winthrop beach though in-between the 5 sisters and the condos? Hell, maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I could Windsurf from Winthrop to Nahant!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, I used to run a short-lived windsurfing shop operating on the vacant property between the last house on Tafts Ave and Deer Island. As mat-ty described, that Yirrell beach works great in a variety of winds. I'd also add SW to his list, but that blows offshore and is very gusty near Deer Island and anywhere close to shore. Same with NW.

That little point to the left can absolutely fire! It normally breaks weird, toward the point, but when the waves are coming from the SE to NE it can offer serious down the line action. Mostly it's a small wave but great for jumping.

We encouraged everyone to enjoy the property -especially windsurfers. I don't know the situation now. Official access to the beach is along a path immediately to the north of the first parking lot of Deer Island.

Good luck, it's great place to windsurf.

mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problem sailing over to Revere and Dog beach(backside of Nahants long beach that faces Winthrop) . That area is called Broad Sound and is safe with little boat traffic and lots of shallow water at low tide.
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Nahant Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Go to Nahant when you can.. As good as anything on the Cape when the wind is up!!
Agreed !

I went to Northeastern U in the late 80's to 90 and did some windsurfing around Boston. Biggest waves I ever sailed in my life were at Nahant. Fall nor'easter, mast high waves. I was an intermediate sailor back then. It's a pretty nice break, side-on in a NE wind.

I eventually migrated all my sailing activities to the cape. Got bacterial poisoning on a stormy day at revere beach. My uncle from Somerville calls it severe beach. And sailing duxbury a few times with the vicious mud mite bites.

It was pretty polluted back then, better now I think.

JP
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nahant Reply with quote

jpeter wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
Agreed !

I went to Northeastern U in the late 80's to 90 and did some windsurfing around Boston. Biggest waves I ever sailed in my life were at Nahant. Fall nor'easter, mast high waves. I was an intermediate sailor back then. It's a pretty nice break, side-on in a NE wind.

I eventually migrated all my sailing activities to the cape. Got bacterial poisoning on a stormy day at revere beach. My uncle from Somerville calls it severe beach. And sailing duxbury a few times with the vicious mud mite bites.

It was pretty polluted back then, better now I think.

JP

Yes, much better nowadays thanks to the 8 mile pipe out into the Atlantic and water treatment facility at deer island.

Although I did find a dead body on the beach this spring at Revere. No Kidding!!!
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Severe beach Reply with quote

I will share the dead body story with my uncle for sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: