myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Just moved from Europe, advices and new surf buddies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabio.iscr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Just moved from Europe, advices and new surf buddies Reply with quote

Hello SF and Bay Area windsurf community,
I'm Fabio, Italian windsurfer just moved to SF with a new job.
I'm still settling down in SF (looking for a long term rent etc...). I sold most of my equipment cause it was a pain to transport during the relocation; so, during the next months I'm planning to look for a used van and equipment and, in general, I'm already excited looking forward to preparing the next windy season.
I've been windsurfing for the last 15 years, and I'm in love with wavesailing.

Questions for you:

I'm looking for joining a windsurf day trip one of the next weekends, just to start discovering the great spot of the surroundings and start knowing some local windsurfers. Is anyone usually going to windsurf in the Ocean that I could join? I would be just happy to share the ride cost and take some pics of the action in the water;)

I'm currently looking for a used surfboard and I will be soon looking for a used wave windsurf gear and a car/van. Do you have any tips on where I could find good deals (apart from Craiglist)?

Are there party / gathering organized by windsurf community or associations in SF or in the Bay area?

Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to see you soon in the water!

Fabio[/list][/list]

fabio_rid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.03 KB
 Viewed:  20652 Time(s)

fabio_rid.jpg

KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fabio!

Welcome to Cali!
I messaged Kevin Kan (SF sailor) regarding your questions so he should chime in soon.

For now you can keep yourself entertained with this video about SF sailing!
http://vimeo.com/77666233

-Kevin
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct equipement is vital for the area.
If you weigh around 75 kilos, add a 4/3 wetsuit wet.
Sails from 6 meters down to 4 meters.
Wave and high wind board around 80 liters.
All around light wind and bay board around 95 liters.
Look at swap meets and here on I windsurf used section.
I have lots of pre '2000 gear, but if you want newer stuff, you'd have to look around.
Go to Crissy Fields and start to circulate.
Nearest sideshore wave sailing is Davenport/Waddell.
Palo Marin is 5 miles NW of Bolinas.
You can sail Ocean Beach, but it's mostly onshore and you'd need the floaty 95 liter board every time.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabio-You are catching us at the end of our season and most of us are starting to put the gear away for the winter. There are probably a handful of days out there and if you are sailing big gear, October can be good as well. There are some storm days that a handful of people chase as well.

Iwindsurf is a really good resource for local site knowledge and used gear so good job finding this site. If you live in SF, Crissy Field is going to be your closest sailing spot and there are a lot of Europeans down there on a regular basis (including a handful of Italians) to connect with. There is also usually a swap meet down there in early to mid April (when the season starts) that would be a good resource for gear. There are people at Crissy who sail the coast on the weekend when the wind and waves cooperate, usually in the spring.

LeeD's advice on gear is pretty good. 85L and 4.7 size sail seems to be the most common setup at a place like Crissy. I sail Crissy about 40-50 days a year on either a 4.5 or 5.0 and either a 85L or 95L board. Depending on who you talk to down there, 85L or 95L is their more typical size.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Santa Cruz sailors and surfers, the season is just coming into its own and no one is putting their gear away. LeeD's tips are spot on. Sharktober may have fewer days, but the one's that do happen can easily rank as top 10 days of the whole year.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of us sail year round... October is still a decently windy month... just depends year to year. My gear will stay in the van ready to go until probably November.

Hit me up if you need some gear. I have new and used.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the last two posts seem to take issue with my contention that the season is over, let me clarify. You can windsurf all year long and I have had great sessions outside the March-September season, but it involves a lot more effort and have found that more often than not the quality of those sessions are pretty poor. IMHO, Fabio should get settled this winter and engage windsurfing in the spring when the conditions get a little more reliable/predictable. I for one am looking forward to a little mountain biking this fall.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the argument here is about weather the season ends with September or it continues until the end of October. Most would agree that
Nov-Feb is off season (but still can be sailed, mostly involving storm front sailing or very big kit). Many people around the bay area will not sail anything bigger than 5.3m or 6.0m, so they usually call it quits at the end of Sept. Rigatoni may be in that camp, which is fine. I would rather be sailing than mountain biking so I carry bigger stuff along with the smaller kit, and don't find it any more effort. If it's light, use the bigger stuff. The wind sensors are very useful.
Gerritt is talking about the wave sailing and surfing being better in Oct because the waves are usually bigger in Oct than they are in the summer, and there are still some windy days. The winter swell is now starting to come in.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a surfboard. It's been epic. Caio!
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Cali fun never stops Reply with quote

Surf, yeah! Get your ski seasons pass too! A few fall and winter wavesail sessions to round things out, and before you know it back to regular windsurf season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: