myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pwa longboard racing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

Neal Pryde came through with the Techno Race Series for low wind racing.
It reached the point that NP loaned a rig to EVERY person who signed up and still didn't get enough sailors to fill one heat in Maui, which is crawling with sailors of all kinds.

Well maybe Maui is not exactly the place where to have a Techno race! Shocked Otherwise the class seems to be doing ok. Last April there were 313 competitors at the European championship, and in July 137 showed up at the Italian Championship. Same with Formula: it is still going quite strong especially in Europe (43 entrances at the 2014 World). It might be surprising but Kite Formula World series show a similar # of entrants (40-50). Both cases seems fewer than PWA slalom that gets close to 100 ranked.

Lack of wind is ... a problem for everybody: windsurf, kites .. Drop between 2 and 6 knots and there is not very much action left. Even the new kid on the block (Kite hydrofoil) is going to be a fringe sport: a 15 meter kite on hydrofoil is not made for the masses!!!!!

But the sport has of course declined ... maybe less in Europe and from what I can tell a main difference between Europe and US is the lack of affordable Sailing Clubs. There is a big network in Europe, and kids can go and learn sailing/windsurfing, taking classes, racing. This seems to be less so here. In the Bay Area the only place is the excellent Berkeley Cal Sailing Club, that indeed brings in a steady trickle of windsurfers into the Bay!

DSC_7394p-001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.92 KB
 Viewed:  7384 Time(s)

DSC_7394p-001.jpg

Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a longboard class that is flourishing worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Larsson is already working on deals to get Kona into the PWA and beyond. The Kona Carb One seems like it would be the best choice for Pro longboard racing.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
With 353 cm, it just about the longest board that I can fit into the top rack of my van.

My megacat (380 cm) just fits inside my van. Where do you carry your Mahalo?
that thing's got to be longer than 380, isn't it?
windchamp2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dvCali"]
keycocker wrote:

. In the Bay Area the only place is the excellent Berkeley Cal Sailing Club, that indeed brings in a steady trickle of windsurfers into the Bay!

The St.Francis YC also offers junior windsurfing lessons on Saturdays from crissy field.
This falls schedule- October 26
November 2, 9, 16, 23
https://www.stfyc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=340612&ssid=240743&vnf=1
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
My megacat (380 cm) just fits inside my van. Where do you carry your Mahalo? that thing's got to be longer than 380, isn't it?

The Nissan NV is a bit shorter on the inside than other vans. Neither the Cat nor the Mahalo fit on top of the rack. The fit inside diagonally, ending up close to the wind shield between driver and passenger. Ok for short drives, but not something I'd want for a drive to Hatteras.

dvCali wrote:
Same with Formula: it is still going quite strong especially in Europe (43 entrances at the 2014 World).

The 2014 Raceboard World that finished 2 weeks ago had 104 competitors. Our local longboard racer Gonzalo finished 5th in his age group, and 21st overall. Considering how Gonzalo dominated last year's ECWF Cape Cod with bullets in every race (including one he finished on the rail), there appear to be a lot of very serious longboard racers out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: