myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
JP Superlightwind
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dfthrash,
A friend of mine who is about your weight and age bought a 165 JP a few months ago for light wind. With a 7.5, he is now happily planing down to about 13-14 (this is at sea level). He will go out and schlog around on it in supbplaning conditions just to work on tacks and basic freestyle. I have a 200 liter fanatic that is 90cm wide (about 2cms narrower than his 165) and a fair amount longer than his. My 200 planes quicker, is more comfortable schloging, and is easier for practicing light wind freestyle, but it is not nearly as fast or as much fun in planing jibes as his 165.
exgolfer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: jp super lightwind Reply with quote

we have one 150 l pro edition and found it great fun even for a 210 pounder like me with 7 and 8 meter sails. works great on east wind days in the gorge which are super flat and barely kitable. the super light wind is an acquired taste but once figured out, its like sailing in a barca-lounger in super smooth water with such low winds while everyone else watches from the beach. If you do go for it, you might inquire about getting a smaller second fin which might help with the learning curve a bit.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems, for the wind minimums, the lightest board can be coaxed onto a plane earlier than anything else heavier.
Of course, your weight, plus 30 liters is considered close to the smallest board for early planing.
With a 6.0 sail, and at 150 lbs., I can plane up my 84 liter JPProSlalom about the same winds as my Slab72, ExocetWarp71, JPSSport109, or my 12 lbs. 8'10" slab...or a Formula 162. Fin sizes hardly make a difference, except for sailing angle.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfthrash,
You didn't say what your largest sail was. If 8.5 for Donner or Boca you would be fine with the 165L Superlight 4-5 days a week. That setup would get you 2 or more hours of plaining on average at 195 lbs.

Coachg
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Lightwind Sailing Reply with quote

Disagree w/ Zirtaeb RE Fins as I've found that they are as important as the the board you put them on. For example: for me (not for everybody) to maximize control I've found that, even with adjustable outhaul, a 48cm fin mates up well with a 5.2 - 5-8 where a cut down 83cm to 86cm fin mates to a 12.0 sail and so on. Also having to make fin choices, each time you rig, gives you the ability to adjust the power of the sail by at least 1/2 - 3/4s of a meter just be going up and down in fin size...many days I find I've rigged too big or too small and can simple change out the fin to get the proper performance....much easier than re-rigging and more enjoyable to sail when gust prone
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta understand, what Bob says has no bearing whatsoever with everyone else who windsurfs on this forum
He uses ONLY a Formula board, for all his windsurfing, from 3 year's prior to until this year.
I doubt any of you ONLY sail on a Formula board.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: light wind sailing Reply with quote

Guilty as charged! been a formula only guy since 2004 but almost all the newer wide boards handle the same way as my high wind 85cm wide ML formula too, so I don't think it's all that mysterious...one fin does not afford you much tuning ability....but you can keep doing it your way if it makes you happy :)
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after I started windsurfing about 8 years ago, I chased the low wind planing threshold thing with my Starboard GO 170 and a windwing 9.8 formula sail, it had a fairly narrow luff sleeve so not terrible to uphaul with an EZ-uphaul.

I was able to plane in around 10 knots of wind, I would say. I remember one memorable "session", for about 30 minutes as the sun was going down, there was just enough wind for me to plane on totally glassy water. What a great experience.

of course, now that my fav combo is 5.5 sail/100l board( and the fact that I'm less than one year from 60), that board and sail combo got waaaaay too big so I sold it. Now, I sail my Megacat and 7.5 in light winds and have alot of fun.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree w/ that. The Go was a great board, I had a new total hip replacement installed in 2000 and celebrated w/ the first Go Board to come to Marin and that seemed to propel me into the wide board arena as you almost didn't need wind and could sail everyday no mater what.....I went the other way and just started getting wider and shorter boards as I hit 220 lbs and became an old Geezer. The wide boards give you so much more wind range and way more time on the water if you don't like to swim or drive to get wind.
sailwave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this old 2002 Exocet formula board, 170 liters and 270cm long. Not that different than the larger super light. It rips up Donner in 12 knots with a 60cm fin and 7.8 recreational sail. I am 185 lbs. You being 220 lbs could mean the Superlight is not quite large enough for 12 knots. Maybe enough for salt water and its added float though.

Capture7.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.94 KB
 Viewed:  14770 Time(s)

Capture7.JPG

Capture9.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.91 KB
 Viewed:  14770 Time(s)

Capture9.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: