myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best location for NW near Annapolis Sunday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Best location for NW near Annapolis Sunday? Reply with quote

Can't get out today, so looking at the potential for some gusty NW winds tomorrow (Sunday) around Annapolis. What is the best launch for NW winds? Would it be Matapeake across the bridge? Thanks!

Last edited by justall on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JduVon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be my choice, unfortunately I can't make it. Enjoy!
justall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. One of these days we'll share some terrain. I'll decide to head out after the 7am forecast is posted ... looks like it might be a bit chilly.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I see folks on the water at Terrapin when I drive over the bridge, I'm going to try Matapeake this morning, just after sunrise. Hope to see some folks out there ... Post if you plan to be on the water.
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Justall,

I did go to Terrapin, got there before 11 and there were a couple of sails when I reached. It was a great session! some lulls but mostly windy, around 18 mph according to one of the guys I sailed with. Apparently Matapeake isn't as good, the bridge blocks some of the wind, did you end up going to Matapeake?
justall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I went to Matapeake. It sure was windy ... averaging close to 20mph as you say, but gusts into the low 30s! at around 9am. I scaled down from my 6.3m to my 5.0m and still felt overpowered quite a bit. The gusty swings from 12mph to 32mph in the morning made for a tiring session. The swell, whitecaps, and a few rouge waves were trying with my 125l board, though.

I liked Matapeake, though I was caught off guard hitting a sandbar or shallow spot going by the pier. I also ended up south of the pier and had to venture quite further into the bay to get back north to the launch. There were two other windsurfers at Matapeake.

I'll try Terrapin on the next good West or Northwest wind. I saw some kites down there as I headed home early afternoon.

Is Terrapin shallow? I hear the walk to the beach is quite long.
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walk to the beach is around 10 minutes, you need something to carry your gear, I used a double baby stroller, a couple of guys had a bike with a trailer. I saw a kiter with what looked like an electric skateboard! he was carrying kite and board by hand and getting propelled by the skateboard, looked cool.

For what I remember, terrapin is very similar to Matapeake depth wise, I didn't hit any sandbar and 50 yards off the beach I was good, even with a large fin, I had a 44 paired up with my 7.5. The other windsurfer I met at the beach said that when the wind has less west on it than today, coming more from the north, there are good waves for jumping, today was flat and fun.

Ernesto
justall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernestomv wrote:
propelled by the skateboard ... today was flat and fun.

That skateboard thing sounds awesome!

Regarding flat water ... Whoa ... It was't flat in front of the jetties at Matapeake ... it was a ramp-o-rama. Terrapin next time.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... looking like Sunday (10/26/14) midday might have some potential WNW. Have a lot to do at home/work, but might not be able to control the urge to hit the Chesapeake again. Others? Will check baba chatter, too.
ernestomv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll at terrapin by 10.30 am, it should be windy from 11 on, according to windguru 17-20 mph, low tide is at 1 pm, so best time to go around 12.30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: