myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got a smaller board - Feels like i'm starting over again
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do you weight? Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the advice. Vision and keeping low is really helping. I saw a youtube video of myself sailing that a friend shot,and I wasn't as low as I thought.

I went out again the other day and things are getting a lot smoother. I think it was just a huge adjustment from going 92cm width to 69cm width. I was focussing on foot placement when tacking, and I found that after switching sides, my front foot was staying leeward as well as my bodyweight. Was also holding mast too close. I think this is why I kept falling. After sliding my foot back fast and dropping down low, I was coming out of tacks smoothly.

In response to ctuna

What do you weight?
5'7", 180lbs

And what wind strengths are you going out in?
15-25kt+

How big a fin do you have in each board?
38cm fin JP X-cite Ride+
58cm fin Starboard GO

Are you planing and comfortable in the straps and harness.
Yes on both. Footstraps are in mid position between totally inboard and totally outboard.

How long are your Harness Lines ?
28"

Where are you running your mast track ?
Middle of track

How well tuned your sail is for the conditions can also be a big
factor in feeling overpowered or in control.

I think i'm pretty well tuned. The more advanced guys at my launch have given me advice and say my sail looks good. I've used those Guy Cribb articles for harnessline placement and watch a ton of those David Ezzy tuning videos.

My boom height is just above shoulder-height when on the water.[/b]
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, all boxes checked assuming you change your settings accordingly for different conditions.Now the upwind issue of the XciteRide my be a model/brand thing. I had 2 JPs-SS and FSW and I wasn't exited about their upwind abilities, while the last board I've bought-Starboard AtomIQ 110-is amazing in that respect . Anyway your fin is a good size for the 6ish sails you've mentioned and if you don't experience a lot of spinouts there is no need to replace it with a bigger one. You can experiment a bit with the mastfoot position: placing it forward of center will make the board more directional at the price of liveliness and speed. Placing it back will do the opposite, but you may not be ready for this and start getting control problems. Bottom line: your best bet for going higher upwind is planning and speed, so you may want to improve that aspect if nothing else works.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I find 125 ltrs somewhat comical as a "smaller" board.
My suspicion is that after 10 days on that board you'll be looking for
a 100 ltr board, and for your conditions and weight, you'll end up near
80 (wide) ltrs for your "go to" board eventually.

-Craig
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you weight? Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:

How well tuned your sail is for the conditions can also be a big
factor in feeling overpowered or in control.

I think i'm pretty well tuned. The more advanced guys at my launch have given me advice and say my sail looks good. I've used those Guy Cribb articles for harnessline placement and watch a ton of those David Ezzy tuning videos.

Guy Cribb harness line placement is a good starting point, but not always. You should always be able to remove both hands from the boom. If any side pulls more, move your lines towards it (towards the pain as they say).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: