myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Portland, need advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I agree that a 2M sail range is pretty hard to design for, in
Gorge conditions.

I have many boards of many several brands with that range, especially the 3.7 to 5.7 range. The limits are usually chop at the windier boundary and an overloaded nose at the lighter end, and the slightly longer/narrower boards aid at both extremes, IMO.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
isobars wrote:
It's much like the Miatas.......

or, perhaps they are on the way to an autox or track day, as I often am when I am driving my Miata, and not the wsing van. just sayin'.

But why drive too slow on a twisty, empty, two-lane highway for a Winnebago or an 11-foot-high shuttlebus van? Those cars will be sound asleep by the time they reach the track and they block traffic ... illegal in WA state.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
It started to get a bit bouncy on a powered up 3.8

Yup; my observations exactly. Yet anything over a 5.0 and the nose felt overloaded. They're smooth and comfy in their niche, but I've never sailed a board with a narrower wind range. To OO's credit, their advertising -- last I saw -- admitted that. Few other brands are as honest.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
My apologies to the OP as we seem to have veered off the original topic somewhat, although he was looking fro Gorge board advise, and this is some.

I totally agree, thus some of my comments I'd have kept to myself otherwise.
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice - stay in Seattle - everything you have heard about Portland is wrong. You will be unhappy here. There is no love of the Seahawks in Oregon either - you will be an outcast.

See how easy that was - now you will not need board advice.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
kmf wrote:
It started to get a bit bouncy on a powered up 3.8

Yup; my observations exactly. Yet anything over a 5.0 and the nose felt overloaded. They're smooth and comfy in their niche, but I've never sailed a board with a narrower wind range. To OO's credit, their advertising -- last I saw -- admitted that. Few other brands are as honest.

Hi Mike,
Not that it matters, I'm not sure where you read that. It must have been a long time ago. Have you sailed the C.C.E or T.E. construction? Much lighter and livelier ride than the Poly Rites that I assumed you sailed which surprises me more if that's the case because the Poly Rites for me anyway made me feel like I could never get blown off the water.

kmf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this, the board the Cgoudie 1 and I were talking about was a one up prototype of a board that Brian made, that was 16 lbs with straps, pads and a two bold chinnok mast base attached, an Open Ocean design that Isobars has never ridden.

I submit that Isobars doesn't know what he is talking about in this case and is as usual bloviating.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna address your comment honestly ... until I got to your final jab.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when isobars last owned an Open Ocean. I question whether he ever has, especially since he has held some deep animosity towards Brian Hinde for supposedly infringing on the Campbell Brothers' "Bonzer" fin design patent on Brian's Tri-fin boards.
Juani222

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I have not checked this post in months and look what I find, Isobars I really need to meet you man... There was some good advice buried in this thread, so thanks to those who addressed my question. I ended up calling my buddy Francisco and he hooked me up with two Goya One (72 and 86 L, based on a post from this thread...) That was spot on, thanks to whoever posted...
I also went with the Eclipses 2014, 3.2 to 5.3, 5 battens, classic "power" sail, but easy to switch off... Sweet. I used the crap out of the gear in the sumer, so the purchase was well justified.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: