myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What skills must be learned before your first shortboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old Zantos is a nice all-around board for winds from 14 - 20mph, maybe a bit more. The seller did you a favor.

If you can waterstart in chest high water, you will be able to waterstart the Zantos in most all conditions in no time.

In winds around 12 - 14, you should be able to gibe the Zantos by sinking the tail - sort of a slow mo gibe. For windier conditions, a lesson would be helpful.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try uphauling on the Xantos. If you can uphaul on it, you can sail it now. If not, better wait until your waterstarts are consistent.

You might also want to practice slow-speed tacks and jibes on the Xantos while you're still near shore. Jibes may be easier than tacks because there's more volume beneath your feet when stepping across the back of the board than when stepping across the nose of the board.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to video's are easy to search for. key to water starting in lighter winds is sinking the tail with the back foot. use the front leg as a keel, pull the tail directly under your butt with the back foot. keep the sail aloft by keeping your arms as straight as you can. the sail and your legs will do most of the work.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on the F2 asap. It will feel strange at first but stick with. The number one thing you need to learn to progress to smaller gear is water starts. Its actually very easy to do once you learn how. This will open up every windy place for your windsurfing enjoyment. Take a ABK camp at South Padre Island in April. Its warm, shallow and windy. I rent a condo for the whole month every April. Its right next to the ABK camp. I watch people who never windsurfed before go from nothing to harness, straps and water starts in a week. It took me a year....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I'm a big fan of the new short wide boards. I think they would be much easier to learn on than the F2. That said, Go with the F2 for a summer. Its the kind of board that can take some abuse that you are sure to dish out. If your getting in the straps and aren't crashing a bunch then consider one of the new freemove boards...
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am a big fan of short wide boards FOR LEARNING short board
techniques. They are particularly dandy for learning to carve a real jibe,
but (you knew it was coming) in some places (like where I sail), if you
get much over 24 inches wide, they get a little bouncy poundy. To the
OP I say, until you get one, ride that F2 into the ground (er beach).

-Craig

p.s I currently ride what is considered a short wide board, which is 7'9"
and 22.5 inches wide.

NOVAAN wrote:
PS: I'm a big fan of the new short wide boards. I think they would be much easier to learn on than the F2. That said, Go with the F2 for a summer. Its the kind of board that can take some abuse that you are sure to dish out. If your getting in the straps and aren't crashing a bunch then consider one of the new freemove boards...
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail the Xantos as soon as you have good conditions. On big boards, it's too easy to develop bad habits that later get in your way. I made the mistake to stay on a big board way too long, and I am constantly fighting to get rid of some of those bad habits.

The Xantos is a great board for getting comfortable on a smaller board. I am a fan of newer short and wide boards, but for just getting going and getting comfortable in high winds, the Xantos may make your life easier. Once you start to work seriously on planing jibes, switching to a newer board may be a good idea.

Confidence makes a big difference in windsurfing (and many other sports). You don't have confidence on the smaller board yet, which can make your first sessions harder. Having a good waterstart can give you the confidence that you'll at least always be able to get going again; waterstarting the Xantos will be as easy or easier than waterstarting the bigger board. In theory, you should be able to uphaul the Xantos without problems (assuming you're 200 lb or less) - but if you are out in a lot of chop, that may not be true. Anyway, if it's windy, waterstarting is easier.

To improve your waterstart, the best way may be to take an ABK camp (for example in Bonaire or Corpus Christi), or get other qualified instruction. If that's not an option, you can try doing the "butt sailing" drill ABK uses to learn the sail control you need. Check the ABK instruction manual for details. Dasher's "ABC of Waterstarting" DVD is also a useful source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: