myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
need help find a location in may/June with non-surfing wife

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capallglynn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: need help find a location in may/June with non-surfing wife Reply with quote

Hi all,
I live in San Francisco and am looking for a week in the sun in the May-July time frame, that will be a good spot for intermediate windsurfing, but would also have other stuff to do for both of us. My wife doesn't windsurf but enjoys outdoor activities (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking,snorkeling, diving) but also wants some cultural things to see and do such as Mayan ruins, old town walking tours..slightly arty stuff.

Its only for a week so we might be limited in where we go, so that we don't spend a whole day o either end traveling, but not ruling out the Caribbean

we spent a week at keihei several years back, and not an ounce of wind for the whole week. I was told it happens once and a while, and it was just my bad timing. Can't remember what time of year it was though. Not sure there's enough culturally to keep her happy a second time around.

My skill level is a bit lop-sided in that at a fit 210lbs, I'm an intermediate sailor, fine with 7.0 sail in 18 kph wind, but a very slow tack/jiber and can't water start, which I want to learn. I usually sail in Berkeley marina/shoreline lake in south bay.

accommodation wise, looking for a condo, noting too fancy but decent and we are big foodies

been reading up on..(with the help of vela's site)
maui (obviously the go to place, but..as mentioned above)
oahu, maybe be good
caberete,
aruba, sounds a bit pretentious, expensive and also maybe too busy
baja/los barilles, but season over

anything in mexico / south america?
any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
capall
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua sounds perfect.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua is normally very light winds, not amenable for big boyz. At 145 lbs., my most used sail there is underpowered 5.7 (old style, like a modern 6.5) and floaty uphaulable slalom board. He might get 2 days total of wind, if he's lucky and hit's it just right.
Carribean is a possibility, like Caberete or Margarita, but June on can be kinda late, getting weeks of heat spells. I know PuertoRico is consistently 12-18 around then, but no windsurf rentals for him. July thru Sept is the lightest winds.
SanFrancisco is pretty good then, OP can rent a hotel room, spend nights in the GearySt. theatre district or Opera House, send her shopping from 3-6, and join up again for the evening stuff..... Very Happy Very Happy
Lots of good food around 9thIrving, UpperFilmore, NorthBeach, mid ClementSt., mid Mission, and S of Market.......
mpnv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Hatteras, NC. Great intermediate sailing on the soundside. Good seafood, but might be a long trip from the west coast for a week. If warmth, not so important, consider the Gorge. Can rent a nice house in town. Good food and beer, lots of hikes and such to keep family entertained.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand about spending a week looking for wind at "Kihei".
If you want wind on Maui, especially in the summer, you need to spend your time at Kanaha on the other side of the island. and May is usually pretty good. If you stay inside the reef, it would be hard to get into trouble, though the current will eventally send you into the "swimming areas". There is a lot to do on Maui, but if you've already done it,
maybe you can try someplace like Cabarete. Easy sailing, and plenty of
snorkeling and scuba. Margarita might be nice for you, but maybe a
little boring for the misses, and I don't know what the political climate is there anymore, but the windsurfing conditions would be premium for you
if you went earlier, like March or April.

Maybe you should just come to the Gorge, so much stuff to do you won't
know which sport to engage in. Late May to Early June is when the winds start kicking in. Spend a couple of days at an easy site (say the Dalles River Front Park,) to get your waterstarts wired, and then get out and get some real entertainment on the river. Even big fit guys are riding 5M sails
in June.

-Craig
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get hammered for suggesting this but consider a short trip to Lopez lake. June is nice and warm with lots of windy days. Tons of stuff to do from Morro bay to Santa Barbara. I live here and its about 20 min. to the lake for me. I had over 100 days on the water this year. Big guys use 6.5 on average. I clock in at 170 lbs. My go to sail is a 5.5 and a 115 Rocket. If it picks up a bit I drop down to a 95 liter 3s. Might get 10 days on a 4.7 Its low water this year but we all are hoping for a wet winter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: