myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WHERE!? If time, dist no obj + cheap golf-beer-food-lodge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windowsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: WHERE!? If time, dist no obj + cheap golf-beer-food-lodge Reply with quote

Coming up on retirement. Airmiles to burn (British Airways/AA). Wud like to spend winter of 2016 somewhere sooper nice - warm, great rentals and wind; cheap golf nearby; inexpensive n good beer-food-lodgings. Remote is OK. Politically stable. Nice beach/swim for non-sailing wifey.

[img][/img]

thinker.png
 Description:
I know this place exists.
 Filesize:  11.28 KB
 Viewed:  20362 Time(s)

thinker.png

petejm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Ventana. Baja
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for Cabarete in the DR. Cheap, accessible, pretty reliable winds, good food, lots of lodging choices...and golf, which I think La Ventana lacks. I went last year...wish I was going back this year.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE!? If time, dist no obj + cheap golf-beer-food-lodge Reply with quote

It's not cheap, but it is "sooper nice" Maui is your place.

-Craig

windowsurfer wrote:
Coming up on retirement. Airmiles to burn (British Airways/AA). Wud like to spend winter of 2016 somewhere sooper nice - warm, great rentals and wind; cheap golf nearby; inexpensive n good beer-food-lodgings. Remote is OK. Politically stable. Nice beach/swim for non-sailing wifey.

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE!? If time, dist no obj + cheap golf-beer-food-lodge Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It's not cheap, but it is "sooper nice" Maui is your place.

-Craig

windowsurfer wrote:

Great for swell, warm water, food, golf, diving, SUPing, but not so much for guaranteed wind during the winter.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

los barriles might work. plenty of affordable lodging, eats and drink, great gear rental. stuff for the non windsurfer to enjoy. great vibe and very safe. i think there's some golf there but plenty of it near cabo san lucas about an hour away.

otherwise, some place in the carribean. AA and BA have that area well covered.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui is a few hundred dollars per month more expensive than Baja, but if something goes wrong, Baja will be far more expensive for you. My family is from Mexico, and it scares the hell out of all of us. I was recently there, and have to say it was pleasant, but once back on Maui, was even more pleasant! Don't forget late spring and summer on the west coast. NOT BAD!!
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbados
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody here actually been to Barbados? Please share.
andydavis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Has anybody here actually been to Barbados? Please share.

Not too recently ('87 when my hair was still good), but I don't think the basic layout has changed. From December to May the Northeast trade winds are pretty consistent...maybe fifteen to twenty most days from the NE to SE. The easterly and SE beaches are the widest and windiest. I've surfed many days at Bathsheba, which is a wide, east facing beach with probably the most well known and accessible breaks on the island. I was just starting windsurfing back then, but didn't see any short board activity on the island. I think it is generally windy enough for kiting with something like a 12m2.

The eastern Caribbean is generally pretty expensive...food and lodging are at about twice as much as on the DR. They speak English (kinda'), so that could be a plus. I was in the Peace Corps near there(Dominica) and have sailed up and down the eastern Caribbean a few times...I love the wind, the water and the natural environment -- it's the people I can't stand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: