myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona Carb One vs Phanton 293 bat wings.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
So, back to the original question.

Which board will plane easier - the Kona Carb One of the Phantom 295?

Who cares? Laughing Laughing Laughing
The joke aside now some on the Starboard forum are condemning the 295 as a crap .
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as adywind said :

Quote:
My 2cents on this: you don't need another board-you have 2 good ones already.

i once looked at the Phantom 295 and felt it was NOT suited ideally 4 heavyweights
but the K1 CARB is one SWEET board Very Happy
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i did not have access to florida east coast waves, and was situated inland, far away from the surf, i would only need one board. the carb one. it is a fantastic board.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
if i did not have access to florida east coast waves, and was situated inland, far away from the surf, i would only need one board. the carb one. it is a fantastic board.

Thank you!

I might pick one up for sailing on Lake Erie. But the upwind ability of the AHD Tactik looks pretty nice, as well.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why you need a lighter board. You must be strong enough to bring it in and out of water? The K1 may be a better match because it will resist dents better than the Carb1.

But either with the K1 or Carb1, the nice thing is that you can learn to use foostraps on a longboard that behaves similarly to a shortboard, thanks to the duck tail.

And Joe, planing out of the straps takes away a good part of the fun. You need to sail defensively in order to avoid catapults. And since you often have to stand in front of the straps, the board doesn't release well, you go slower, the sail seems to pull more and you need to open it more.

In the straps, you can get even weight on both legs, the board goes faster , you can close the sail better and it eventually just feels effortless and balanced, or at least much easier than out of the straps.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carb one is pretty tough. not as toughas the kona one, but OMG the performance enhancements!!!!!

imagine a kona one with turbo chargers. that's the carb one. acceleration, and turning are the key issues. slightly better dagger too.

gustavoluzardo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx U very much guys.

Chandler & joethewindsufa, Adywind, beaglebuddy: Most of the time we just do not have enough wind around here I guess. So it seems that my personal issue is technique and experience. What I get is that I need perhaps a 8.0 sail in between my 9 & 6.5. Need to improve technique keep the weight around the mast, and use tip of toes on back feet.

The fin is Drake 52' Freeride Power.

Sailboarder: One thing is that I find it very difficult to clip in with the seat harness, and find myself with the boom below my clavicles to be able to achieve with ease. So will give it a try with a waist harness as well. I suppose u r right, with my weight, and reasonable fitness, I should be able to get this board going. I think bad technique, troubles with harness.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mast raked back, harness lines set for decent amount of power, usually further back than one might think, seat harness is good. waste (spelled intentionally) is another cop out. those that adapt to seat harnesses at the recreational level of sailing end up being faster, and more capable to glide thru lulls better. been there, proved that too.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jinge, don't change you harness, figure out and fix the problem. I use a seat too, based on initial rec by local shop. You might want adjustable harness line if you use your kit both in light air and in planing conditions. I use Chinook race ones. The lines need to be longer when the sail cannot support you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: