myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hardings Beach tomorrow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the walk at low tide is short @ Ellis Landing if the wind direction is right. We've started there very close to low tide. With a neap tide (+1.6 ft), you can sail over the big sand bar in front of Ellis Landing, and stand, even in a WNW. The channel should be fine except perhaps at negative tides.

I think the most fun around Skaket is in between tides, though, when lots of little waves build up in the shallow area. But we've had great sessions from Ellis Landing starting or ending when Skaket would have been a LONG walk. Check this post on my blog for an example.

The only issue at Ellis is that there are some rocks in the water that are easy to hit when coming in, and a few oyster beds. The oyster beds are marked, the rocks are not. Worth checking out at a very low tide if you want to know where things are. Or just walk out straight a bit more than necessary, and come back in the same way.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. my wife and i got caught this fall at skaket in the long walk. fun mid tide little waves like you say, so we just stayed in the water as it was going out. you really lose perspective until you start walking back. with a 7m. never again.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardsurfr, thanks for the great info! I'll have to check out Brewster in a WNW for sure.

Your blog post from last year was about a day I was at Corporation. I see from the wind archives that Hatch Beach (and I assume Skaket/Brewster) had much better wind that day (11/23/13) than Corp/Chapin. So even with a pure NW wind, the wind is better up by Skaket and Brewster. I do like the wavy action at Corp, but I find the wind seems to die on me there a lot.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob, be skeptical of that hatch meter, it reads way high relative to whats actually on the water. further east is funner on wnw, when chapin is dead on and corp is side off from the parking lot.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
Your blog post from last year was about a day I was at Corporation. I see from the wind archives that Hatch Beach (and I assume Skaket/Brewster) had much better wind that day (11/23/13) than Corp/Chapin. So even with a pure NW wind, the wind is better up by Skaket and Brewster. I do like the wavy action at Corp, but I find the wind seems to die on me there a lot.

I have checked the wind in NW winds around Corporation and Skaket by driving to both places many times. Pretty much every time, the wind in the Skaket area has indeed been noticeably stronger. Not sure why, but I call it the "elbow effect", where the two parts of the Cape funnel the winds towards Skaket. In addition, the land near the coast in the Skaket area is quite flat, with lots of marshes; in contrast, the dunes and hills near Corporation are much bigger. That tends to have an effect on the wind, too.

paulf wrote:
bob, be skeptical of that hatch meter, it reads way high relative to whats actually on the water.

A little skepticism is always a good thing. How accurate the Hatch Beach meter is depends a lot on the wind strength and the direction. In SW-W-NW, the meter tends to read maybe 3 mph high, especially if the readings are around or below 20. When the readings are in the mid-20s or higher, the difference seems to be smaller. That's based on my notes and wind graphs from 25 session in the area.

The meter sits at the end of the road at First Encounter Beach. It reads high in light-medium NW winds because it has something like a solar panel under it that is angled upward at a 45º angle. I think if when the wind gets stronger, the re-direction upwards to the meter does not work as well anymore.
If I recall correctly, the panel it tilted towards the west, maybe WNW or WSW. In NNW and N winds, the panel is at the wrong angle, not deflecting the wind up to the meter. Also, the wind comes over dunes and land towards the meter in N winds. That means that the meter actually reads low in N, and overstates gustiness in NNW. NNW is a great direction for this area; I never sailed there in straight N.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're talking about meters...
The Chapin meter also reads high, maybe by 3 - 5 mph, for high teens to low 20's NW. For NE this meter reads low and you can assume the gusts are really the average. Haven't eyeballed this meter so don't know about solar panel/terrain there. Good discussion.

It's nice to have info like this, to help in deciding whether to drive more or cut losses. Thursday I decided to cut my losses, but should have just gone to Brewster at 10:30 when the Chapin meter was floundering. I was already into the drive for 1-1/2 hours and it was all for nought when I gave up Sad
Of course the Hatch meter is broken right now, making things harder.

Last edited by shreddbob on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:

I think if when the wind gets stronger, the re-direction upwards to the meter does not work as well anymore.

So you were on 4.7 then 5.7 a couple days ago at Brewster/Skaket while I saw wind dying at Corp.

Can you let us know what sail were you riding the day your blog wrote about (11/23/13)? I was happily on a 5.2/83 liter JP Single/Thruster board at Corp from 9 - 10-30 that day last year, then just making it work from 10:30 - 11 as wind was dropping off. Note: This is regarding a year ago...just trying to compare wind and sail sizes for these locations. I weigh 165 lbs.

2013 Nov 23 Chapin-Corp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.94 KB
 Viewed:  10000 Time(s)

2013 Nov 23 Chapin-Corp.png

2013 Nov 23 Hatch.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.84 KB
 Viewed:  10000 Time(s)

2013 Nov 23 Hatch.png

Last edited by shreddbob on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm so glad to hear that Peter and Marty returned to Skaket. I thought all my boohoo shark crying might have scared sailors off.

Now, the time stamp on posting may be confusing me. Did you guys sail on Thursday? Except for lunch I was there from 7:30 to dark. Throughout the day, I saw it go from plain old crazy to really sweet to a desert. The wind and sand were relentless all day. I had my truck in the best preferred parking space, right up tight to the Admin Bldg.

I guess I was having too much fun trying to stay warm with my beach pail and shovel; I never saw anyone out to sea.

1218141603.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  426.22 KB
 Viewed:  10018 Time(s)

1218141603.jpg

Last edited by ron.c on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for sailing, what can beat a sunset over the septic system??

1218141556.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.63 KB
 Viewed:  10017 Time(s)

1218141556.jpg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
Did you guys sail on Thursday? ... I never saw anyone out to sea.

Ron, we launched from Linnell, and sailed from 10:30 to 2. We stayed mostly to the left of Skaket, but had few runs almost to First Encounter, and a few more in front of Skaket (check the GPS track image). The runs near Skaket were all at least 1/2 mile from shore, which is why you may not have seen us.

shreddbob wrote:
So you were on 4.7 then 5.7 a couple days ago at Brewster/Skaket while I saw wind dying at Corp.

I was on a 5.5 on Thursday, a bit overpowered at first, and a bit underpowered towards the end. Based in how the sail felt and what Marty said about his 4.7, I'd guess the wind averages were close to 30 when we started, and dropped to around 22 mph when we stopped. The Buzzards Bay buoy shows a drop from 32 to 23, P'town from 25 to 22.

shreddbob wrote:
Can you let us know what sail were you riding the day your blog wrote about (11/23/13)?

Sure, that's what tracking sessions is for. I sailed the same 5.5 Matrix / 96 l Tabou 3 S combo on 11/23/13 from 10-11:30. Wind direction then was about 20-30 degrees more northerly, and the water was flatter (partly because I started near low tide, partly because the wind direction allowed runs close and parallel to shore). Hatch Beach meter averages were between 25 and 30, gusts mostly in the low 30s.

I'm around 195 lb, and the 5.5 is top-end oriented. I usually sail the 5.5 when averages are around 25 mph in chop, and up to 35 mph averages when it's flat. My speed in moderate chop conditions on the 3S is usually about the same as the wind averages. Top speed on 11/23/13 was about 30 mph, so I'd say the meter was pretty close.

Tracks 12182014.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.76 KB
 Viewed:  9987 Time(s)

Tracks 12182014.gif

Wind 11232013.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.78 KB
 Viewed:  9987 Time(s)

Wind 11232013.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: