myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3rd Ave - Infrastructure Improvements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwilde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach you missed two key points fake turf adds about 10 degrees in the Summer and when people rig there standard masts and hold the rig up it will chew up the turf. Oh and they cut down on the available parking spots big time.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilde,

I hate to tell you this but you are way off. The temperature does not increase by 10 degrees my friend, much more. Before the start of the Holy Bowl back in early September on a day when the air temperature reached 103 degrees Chris, the AD for Jesuit, put a thermometer on the field & took the temperature. 122 degrees.

Coachg
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, the number of parking spaces is nearly the same as before.
We gained 2 spaces nearest to the rigging area when they eliminated 2 handicap spots. We lost 3 spaces nearest to the lower launch to accommodate emergency access to the path. That's a net loss of 1.
No parking on the Lakeside Dr. side of the bathroom, but it was a no parking zone before the refurb -- people chose to ignore it and it was a hazard on busy days. Parking on Lakeside along the driving range is unchanged.

I personally think the improvements are great compared to what was there before. YMMV.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.86 KB
 Viewed:  12555 Time(s)

image.jpg

SwellRipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: 3rd Ave Carpet Classics Reply with quote

Nice one Mo, old 3rd Ave carpets visible from space!

Here is a historic on the ground look featuring Dmitry, which is now destined to be a 3rd Ave Carpet Classic feature, haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4Tz_hogqU&index=34&list=UU_tTeC-oRYYwOEH2sqplOuQ

BTW, 3rd was way powered up after the rain today, not too many takers, but it was great sailing.

Xmas Day may work too, just look out for the bigger pieces of trees floating out there!

rwilde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach thanks for proving my point. As a soccer coach the average increase on Bay Area fields is appr.10 degrees on the fake stuff. What the hell is the Holy Bowl and what does it have to to with 3rd.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilde wrote:
Coach thanks for proving my point. As a soccer coach the average increase on Bay Area fields is appr.10 degrees on the fake stuff. What the hell is the Holy Bowl and what does it have to to with 3rd.

When there is sail-able wind, it's also much cooler at 3rd and Coyote.
Besides, it's a done deal now, they are not going to change it,,,,so enjoy it.
The time to bring up these issues would have been a long time ago, during the PLANNiNG meetings when they invited public input.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! You're not talking about Rio, 3rd and Coyote cannot be that hot on windy days. There have not been heat issues with the black recycled rubber mats installed at the Coyote playground, right? However, I do foreseen competitions from non-winsurfers. With the dirty old carpets, nobody is gonna go there other than rigging. With the new turf, family picnics, sunning bikini babes and soccer games are not out of the picture. Surprised
damel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new renovations look great. I didn't make it to 3rd much last season because I now live and work in SF but am hoping to get some of that epic swell this summer.

I will miss the rough home grown feel of the old parking lot. There is something about rigging on a piece of carpet that may have been in your fellow windsurfers home the year before.

Also, looks like they took away a lot of the bushes, I wonder where the cats are living now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: