myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The mystery of the Starboard AtomIQ 110 SOLVED!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
btw.. the picture you see in your Boards Mag screenshot does not have a center strap and looks like it's got 2 holes for the finbox.
I saw this also in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46B6gbNFzKU
Maybe this board was < 2014 model?

WOW, good job Dr Watson! You have an eye for a detective work Sir! I was totally blind for this obvious differences Embarassed
So they DO exist indeed-the Futura killers-I was not imagining stuff after all! Looks like I've been correct from the beginning!
Starboard created an awesome board -more Freerace then Freemove-full carbon-top and bottom, tuttle box fin, no center strap and who knows what else. This was the board that the British magazines tested and the board in the video and...wait for it Laughing ...this is the board in the pictures of the 2014 product catalog Shocked

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2014/products/boards/atom-iq
They've been there under my nose the whole time, wow! Which means that 7.56 kg is not an estimate-it's the actual average weight of the original board.
Then something happened-after the magazine reviews they decided for some reason to "crappify" it and we are left today with what's left of it . WHY Starboard,WHY?!? Crying or Very sad
Im going to speculate here, but the redesign may have been prompted by the Fanatic move to burry the Shark and let the Gecko take its place. So Starboard follows the lead and instead of "canibalising" the Futura creates a Carve replacement or just another Freeride board to sit inbetween and let the future decide. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some drama in the headquarters while taking this decision .
I understand it's their business and all, but keeping us the costumers in the dark is not fair. I'm disappointed honestly Sad
Anyway, the mystery has been solved! Thanks to everybody for the help especially to Anton!
antonputman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good work to you adywind!

Here is the picture of the Atom IQ 2014, straight from Starboards website
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2014/products/boards/atom-iq

And a view on the tuttle box:

Guess what, Starboard lost me as a future customer!!!
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, this actually looks a lot like wood under the paint Confused . All of it is very confusing, isn't it? Why it is so difficult to get what you see on the pictures and what it says on the tin ?!?
I got a reply from Tiesda in which he explains that the pictures are of a pre-production board and that they decided to apply more grey paint on the final production boards to avoid future sun damage. Either way the end products hull just looks cheap and for a light to medium wind board carbon would have been beneficiary IMO.
I invited him to give us some clarification on this forum, so hopefully he'll accept.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - so from reading your post - you are upset about your purchase???
You bought a used board (2014) from Big Winds. You feel slighted because the purchase was not what you expected it to be???

The Atom IQ is a great board, plans up fast and plans through the turns really well. I also have a 110. I like sailing it with a powered up 7.5m sail.

As far as the weight I wouldn't worry about that - it is within the tolerance - especially since the board was repaired non professionally.

The first prototype was built with a tuttle fin box. The final version was set up with a power box fin.

Is the board a Futura killer - no? The Futura is faster - a detuned slalom board. If my goal is to go faster than my friends - ride the Futura. If I want to sail faster than my friend using a Futura then use the Isonic.

You bought a good board. You should have lots of great sessions on it.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post wasn't about the boards qualities , it was about its "little secret". We solved it and moved on.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: