myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shortening the batten for more leech tension better rotation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
Hi, one way to achieve your goal, if I read it correctly, is to use a stiff top mast like a Maui Sails/Severne/Gaastra/Naish. Maui Sails is the stiffest top and should do the best job at increasing leach tension up top while still allowing the bottom of the mast to flex enough so that the lower battens have a reasonable curve up front.

The overall effect of this setup will be a flatter draft overall, but it will be centered higher and further back, and will "utilize" more of the upper sail cloth area for power in sub planing conditions.

Hope that helps and makes sense!

A hardtop would definitely be the best solution for me, as I do mostly subplaning in very light winds. For the sake of curiosity, though,the Unifiber mast selector site http://www.unifiber.net/2014/mast-selector lists Maui and Naish masts as constant curve, not hard top. On the other hand Seabreeze http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/compatible-mastsail-brands/
seems to see them as hardtop. THere is some confusion here. Who is right?

Thanks

Ittiandro
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro,

In regards to Mauisails masts, they switched to constant curve (CC) last year. If you get an older MS mast it will be hard top, just like Gaastra.

As for the Naish masts I'm really confused where the hard top comes from. The older Unifiber charts had Naish listed as hard top as well. Both my old, 2006 & 7's & new, 2013 Naish RDMs are CC as I measured them at my school. My Naish wave sails rig great on Naish or Nolimitz RDMs while the my Naish freeride/slalom sails rig great on Powerex & Gulftech SDMs all of which are CC. Many sailors where I sail rig their Naish sails with Ezzy masts as well with great results. Big Winds & Delta windsurf also rig their Naish sails on Nolimitz masts so the Unifiber 2014 chart finally got it correct with Naish at CC.

Yes, this mast business is a mess.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, if Maui Sails have switched to CC maybe the industry is starting to move in the right direction -meaning simplification ?!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
ittiandro,

In regards to Mauisails masts, they switched to constant curve (CC) last year. If you get an older MS mast it will be hard top, just like Gaastra.

As for the Naish masts I'm really confused where the hard top comes from. The older Unifiber charts had Naish listed as hard top as well. Both my old, 2006 & 7's & new, 2013 Naish RDMs are CC as I measured them at my school. My Naish wave sails rig great on Naish or Nolimitz RDMs while the my Naish freeride/slalom sails rig great on Powerex & Gulftech SDMs all of which are CC. Many sailors where I sail rig their Naish sails with Ezzy masts as well with great results. Big Winds & Delta windsurf also rig their Naish sails on Nolimitz masts so the Unifiber 2014 chart finally got it correct with Naish at CC.

Coachg

Naish going back a few years were Hard top//stiff top. At some point they did change to a constant curve. The Firestick RDMs were pretty stiff.
This is a current ..2014 reflection of the mast state of affairs. For me I like to read some ones POV that actually make masts.

http://www.unifiber.net/2014/gear/masts/#

I would be careful with shops advise, my own experience is not good.maybe 50/50

Of particular note, if attempting to use a half mast from another company, ie NoLimitz and Ezzy, the ferrel//spigot//penis part is on opposite ends and you would have 2 males or females. NL and Ezzy are made by NL, and this is odd, but Ezzy used to be made by Powerex, Utah so were the same. Other companies you would need to check .

I think changing to stiff top IN the posts question, would complicate things even more, changing the sails shape elsewhere.

since none else recommended it I will

ask
david@ezzy.com

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Maui Sails masts- Yes, what Coach said! Sorry, I should have been more specific about the model years while making that recommendation.

And not to get too far off topic, but re: Naish masts- they must have a bit more leniency in their luff curves than some of the other brands, because I've seen LOTs of different masts work reasonably well in their sails, both stiff top and soft top. It should be noted that "Constant Curve" is a really large umbrella that even the older Maui Sails stiff top masts, and the soft top Neil Pryde masts all fall under.

Sometimes it just comes down to fine tuning for your body weight, board type, and sailing style.

Or you could just stick whatever you want in your sail and make do with the results. Laughing As long as you're happy while you're sailing, nothing else really matters. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
ittiandro,

Coachg

2011 Naish were still hard top, 2012 saw the change to CC.

According to a sail/mast expert:

Any mast will work in any sail, it depends on how much range the sail has to being with AND how much you are willing to give up.

Since you could never have realized how much happier you COULD have been with the proper gear, yes a mast up the sleeve will make some happy, smiley face, campfire KUMBAYA (come by here) hold hands and skip , and cold adult malty beverage.

coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you have had so much bad experience with shops. I know people who have had the same bad experience as you when ordering online and getting an incompatible mast. I'm a little more fortunate with my local shop in that they have Dereck Rijff & Jason Voss, two professional testers I trust a little more than 50/50.

I'm sure Unifiber makes great masts, but when it comes to rigging I put my trust in Derek & Jason. Just my POV.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you have had so much bad experience with shops. I know people who have had the same bad experience as you when ordering online and getting an incompatible mast. I'm a little more fortunate with my local shop in that they have Dereck Rijff & Jason Voss, two professional testers I trust a little more than 50/50.

I'm sure Unifiber makes great masts, but when it comes to rigging I put my trust in Derek & Jason. Just my POV.

Coachg

Coachg,

This begs for some further clarification. I dont suggest Unifiber masts, or their other products, are the next best thing. I do have a carbon extension, its fine. Some of the mast bend info I dont agree with that they publish, most is accurate. My impression is their products are made in Eastern Europe or China, and quality is B-. We have only so many sources to look that do publish their mast findings.Some mast companies will only reluctantly give you the numbers, in part cause most consumers dont understand them, nor want to, let alone publish what the masts are.
Prior to the realization that masts are not all created equal , I was sold several mast //sail combos were not compatible, for the most part it was the case of being ignorant of the facts. So I have learned from my mistakes. So life is far too short to sail under less than ideal equipment. My money my choice.

Delta Windsurf is among the very top echelon of shops. You probably forget I lived on Sherman, sailed the Delta and most East Bay spots.

I think the shop would provide great recommendations on the gear they sail or have tested.

your POV is accurate in my POV.

I cant forget a shop employee ( shop name withheld to protect----)who when asked about the JP - Australia board ? Where is that made ?

A. Australia. well maybe , just maybe the pine came from there

coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

It's the price we pay for moving so many jobs overseas. It costs more in the US because of higher quality control. ABK instructor Brenon Quinn likes to call it Cobra employee #2 anytime there is a default in workmanship as per this topic http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29410
The only way he can describe why two boards, the same year, the same model, from the same factory come out with totally different construction. As you say, B-.

But your JP Australia joke is better.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: