myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui First Trip Advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kihei is a good place to center your stay - there is a wide variety of restaurants, bars and shops in town. Try to stay at Maui Sunset or one of the adjoing condos so you can sail right out back. There is a beautiful lawn area leading up to the beach to rig on and just lay out on and plenty of room for everyone to spread out. The drive to Kanaha is 1/2 hour tops from Kihei and this is also another great spot for intermediates looking to advance skills. The beach there is also beautiful with plenty of shade and the wife could easily enjoy an afternoon on the beach with you while you sail. Click on the Kihei and Kanaha iwindsurf meters and read about the local info for each site. Kanaha works best when the wind is east to northeast (which is the typical summer trade wind pattern) but when it shifts more northerly at Kanaha - the wind usually is much better in Kihei. There is a very shallow coral reef right near shore at the Maui Sunset launch in Kihei - so bring some type of water shoes. There is a public park at the far western end of Kihei where you park right next to the beach. The launch here has a nice sandy bottom and often you can find fun intermediate waves here in the summer.

Have Fun!
Rob
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments above about Kihei are good. However, my wife doesn't care to listen to the windsurfing banter, but loves Paia. Yoga, spas, shopping, bike rides, and golf are her thing. She walks into town and spends the morning walking and drinking coffee. This can also be a lot of fun for your wife if she doesn't like the big box condos and hotels.

Kuau is a great place to stay. The new Kuau Mart is open, and a great place for coffee. YOU COULD SAIL HOOKIPA IN THE SUMMER! Even do a down winder to Kanaha and have you wife pick you up 3 hours later. (Not bad)

Spa, Yoga, and food are all cheaper in Paia BTW.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, Hookipa is pretty easy sailing in the summer, it's small, the only down side is the crowd size and no early sailing, surfer's rule.
And a downwinder to Kanaha is a gas, lots to see along the way.
BTW, if you want your trip to be something that you will never forget, in an awesome way, stay at the Paia Inn, a totally hip boutique B&B, you only go around once in life, so they say. http://paiainn.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of my trips, I did a solo sail up from Spreckelsville to Hookipa. While at Hookipa I had the unexpected opportunity to sail a number of reaches with Robby Naish and a few of his friends, and in the end, the fast downwinder back was awesome. In my view, the venture was a bit more windy and more lively than the up and downwinders I've done to Kanaha. Also, the water color and quality around Paia was breathtaking. Areas of super electric turquoise because of the pristine sandy bottom were incredible. Believe me, it was a rare treat that remains forever etched in my memory.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many locals sail in Kihei, even if they live across from the launch Very Happy
The conditions are considered inferior to the point that most avid sailors do something else if the only wind is at Kihei.

There aren't that many windsurfers left even in Maui. Your wife may never hear any board talk even if she lives in Paia.
It is one block long in every direction, but still has two Buddist temples and three yoga places. It it a charming walking town. Lotsa great food.

Kihei looks a lot like Los Angeles. Strip malls and condos line the beach.

Some like that, so it is available in Maui.

You can rent a place on the Northshore for under $100 day online. Live in a tropical garden, park in the driveway not a vast condo lot.Eat fruit from trees...
The rentals up country rarely need AC. The nights are 69 Days 80 degrees.
Kihei is often uncomfortably hot without AC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: