myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Pablo Bay on East winds?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: San Pablo Bay on East winds? Reply with quote

I know, keep it secret so it doesn't get crowded. This is windsurfing, it won't get crowded for a while.
I know, it's been hashed and rehashed, but this is concerning winter conditions and E winds.
Last week, we've been getting ENE winds, so dead sideshore all along the N coast of San Pablo, Pinole, and Hercules. Talking 14-25, planing conditions.
So, looking at the map, and living near San Pablo Dam Road, we've been considering windsurfing at some of the spots, Hercules, Pinole, Rodeo.
It's morning wind, usually 9-1, like N winds in the winter.
It need medium to higher tides, so the submerged obstacles don't take our fins.
It's cold.
But it's planning conditions winter windsurfing.
Checked out Pinole and Hercules this weekend, too late to sail, but saw a kiter still out and doing his thing.
Anyone interested in cold winter ENE wind sailing?
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb,

Years ago I sailed Lone Tree twice during regular season. Would not do it alone, but not averse to winter sailing with buddy system there or elsewhere nearby.

Have banged up toe from Baja, but I think I can deal with it.

Tuesdays are out for me. Most other days are potentially available, especially starting next week. Retired so AM's are not big issue.

David
victor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zietaeb,

Where was the kiter? Pt. Pinol?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kiter looked like he launched around the point downwind from SugarCity's beach, but we were up at Railroad in Hercules, about a mile NE. He kited till around 2, dying winds, and we went SUP around 3:30.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb,

I live in Hercules in the Promenade waterfront community.
Hercules is difficult due to the long expanse of mudflats. But if you catch the tide right there is plenty of depth. There is grassy rigging and sailing at the corner of Sante Fe and Railroad Ave.

There is also a spot in Pinole at the sewer plant if you can deal with such things. That is where the occasional kiters go.

To the west in Pinole is another spot that I sailed at 2 -3 times per week in the summer. I gave it up due to my car being broken into about two years ago. But actually it is no less safe than most other Bay launches. It is accessed by going through the community of Pinole Shores. At the end of the street is a Bay Trail parking lot. From that lot you have to tote your gear about 200-250 yards down the paved Bay trail then cross the railroad tracks over to a rock outcropping. The west side of "The Rock" is a clean sandy beach that is about 30 yards long. There is grassy rigging on the bluff that overlooks the Rock. The water there is shallow, which is good for getting to the wind which is a bit wind shadowed on the South winds. But a short 15yard slog and you are in the wind line. Expect an offshore wind with lines of swell that get larger farther out. It is sort of like sailing The Stick. The reach is from the Rock to the pier at Point Pinole and back. Great spot, but the walk with the gear is a bit of a task.

In Rodeo there is the Lone Tree Park and the Rodeo Marina. A few friends sail it. I have not but plan to this season. Problem is the wind line and swell are way outside. Significantly farther than the outside at 3rd. And if something goes wrong there is the oil refinery to deal with on the east side of Rodeo, much less the remoteness of central SP Bay.

All of the spots work when the San Pablo Bay marker shows wind. South and Southwest are normal in the summer. The Northwest winds are not as good. On the NW the fetch usually churns the water into a pretty big mess of mixed chop and muddy water conditions. But they are sailable.

There are a couple of other spots to launch but you have to deal with the train tracks, fences, and the riprap rocky shoreline.

Then there is the Hercules Point. Not really launchable. But the City owns the land and someday, many moons from now, it will become a Park and should end up becoming one of the very best launches in the Bay area.
Anybody interested in storming a few City Council meetings with me to get the City off of it lazy butt to get the project started, let me know. I'm interested in a political battle to make something happen there. It really could be a great location once it is cleaned and accessible.

By the way, let me know when your up this way I'll show you the spots.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
We liked the Railroad launch in Hercules, SUP'd there, and ate dinner at the overlooking restaurant.
The sewer plant is too long a walk for me, although I've logged over 50 days at Palo Marin (when I was younger).
SugarCity just seems too remote, the carry too long and steep down, and if there is no availible parking there, the only other area is back at San Pablo Ave.
Thanks for the info for NW winds, the winds we need to cover as Berkeley and Pt.Isa sucks in NW winds, coming too late and too far outside for my tastes. We actually usually drive to Rod&Gun, ruck and muck.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb,

Though I do not sail at it, there is no walk to the sewer plant. There is a park on the property. It can be driven to from Tenant Ave in Pinole. The parking is at the park. There is a green well maintained grassy lawn for rigging and it is only a few steps into the water.

I have kited from there a couple of times.
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb,

Also the Sugar City launch is the Pinole Shores launch that I mentioned. The parking is down by the railroad tracks. And yes it is a bit of a walk.
But I do it in one move. I suit up, carry my board and boom in one hand and the sail and mast in the other.

After a sail session I usually leave the sail to dry, carry the rig back to the car, stow it away, change into street cloths, walk back to the grassy bluff and de-rig the sail.

All in all it is not bad. The nice thing about the spot is that it is a sandy beach for launching and probably the clearest water in SP Bay, Sort of...
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at Point Pinole for a NW wind. It seems set up right.

If you park in the parking lot you would have to carry your gear up to the railroad bridge and then down to the water. There are a couple of good sandy beaches along the southern shore of Point Pinole and it looks perfect for a NW.

But the walk would be long. I've considered doing it with a bike and trailer but have not ... yet
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 65, the days of long walks are well in the past.
Gotta save my legs for tennis and road biking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: