myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best way to clean vinyl sail windows??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Best way to clean vinyl sail windows?? Reply with quote

As the sun sets in the FAR-Eastern Gorge, I often can't see where the hell I am going anymore.

Although my 2002 Northwave Surflites look good as new otherwise.... (little plug there)... whats the best way to clean up the vinyl??

Not really that scratched.. mostly radioactive river scum

Any tips to make them stay cleaner also??

Windpig
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make even truly ratty, almost leathery, vinyl windows look virtually new again with Meguair's Plastic Cleaner and Polish plus moderate elbow grease (or a low-speed buffer). I used it for nearly 20 years on vinyl windows with outstanding results. When I sold one quiver of Hurricanes, Doug ("Mr. Hurricane") got down on his hands and knees and used a fingernail to lift a seam to verify for a potential buyer that, "Yep; it's been used". (I'll bet that question was asked of the 5.7, which was the oldest sail in the quiver.)

I sailed more then than I do now, and the ages of the quiver's six sails ranged from 3 or 4 years to 6 years.

See http://www.superiorcarcare.net/megplascar.html for details on the polish. I've tried many such polishes, and Meguair's was hands-down best last time I compared them many years ago.

Sorry, folks; I've found nothing worth the effort for monofilm. I just turn my monofilm-windowed sails over every year for $100 a pop and fugheddabout visibility.

I've tried a variety of pre-treatments to keep them cleaner and protect them from uv. I have no idea how well they work. I applied 303 Protectant to certain panels of each of my present quiver; if I can tell this summer which panels got the treatment -- I sorta forget -- I'll figger it works.

Mike \m/
wooot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, guess I could have asked you this at the beach

Never knew you owned Huricanes

Any one else?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regards protectant : don't think anything will work similar thread on HotSails different area but:
http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2373

the other forum link just a litte down on the above has more remarks.

the plastic polish with buffer I would not have considered. maybe the polish

I would use a eco friendly product like Simple Green or a Citrus based cleaner., and what didn't come off, well.......

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windowslasvegas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Vinyl windows Reply with quote

Most probably i have seen that exterior windows can be cleaned by the rainfall but if rain fall doesn't work then you must use gentle cleaning products. Routine cleaning with readily accessible products will remove the dirt from the vinyl windows.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Kaywos cloth. Cleans any non-porous surface. Takes the D'arbonne scum off without any cleaners. I take my sail into the water rigged and wipe it down.

http://kaywos.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta have some abrasive for vinyl, as the real issue is microscratching, not scum. With monofilm, the microscratching is permanent, so a cloth is about the best you can do.

Notice that the thread was started six years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: