myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GoPro helmet mounts...what's the best/latest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, you can film others with the clew-view as well, just flip the camera around and ask them to follow you!
Or place the camera on your wife's boom.
Win/win.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not going to work for this application, Manuel. She's working on the fundamental of the step jibe, and needs to see where she is in the turning arc. Also she needs to see how she looks in comparison to other people jibing, who I also intend to shoot. I expect that I'll be standing in the water and shooting her sometimes, other times following her. If I sail in front it will become about her trying to keep up with me. Lastly, we're headed to Bonaire to work on this, where we'll be on rental equipment.

That's why I asked about the helmet mount in the original post. I know boom mounted cameras give a wonderful perspective. It's just not what I"m looking for right now.

manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the default package comes with the helmet tape mount.
What does their site say?

As other people have said, make sure your helmet is on tightly to keep the image as stable as possible and trust the angle you setup the camera.

Finally remember what you have on your head when coming out of the shorebreak! (although there is no shorebreak in Bonaire Smile )

coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Did you buy your Gopro aftermarket? My Gopro came with this

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/head-strap-plus-quickclip/ACHOM-001.html

Works just fine without needing the helmet if you didn't want to pack a helmet to Bonaire.

Coachg
pete1111

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
That's not going to work for this application, Manuel. She's working on the fundamental of the step jibe, and needs to see where she is in the turning arc. Also she needs to see how she looks in comparison to other people jibing, who I also intend to shoot. I expect that I'll be standing in the water and shooting her sometimes, other times following her. If I sail in front it will become about her trying to keep up with me. Lastly, we're headed to Bonaire to work on this, where we'll be on rental equipment.

That's why I asked about the helmet mount in the original post. I know boom mounted cameras give a wonderful perspective. It's just not what I"m looking for right now.

nothing better than strapping the clew view to her boom you see all her footwork and sail handling much better than trying to follow her around Wink
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1111 wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:

nothing better than strapping the clew view to her boom you see all her footwork and sail handling much better than trying to follow her around Wink

Yep, you can tell where the wind is by looking at the angle of the sail but you can also mix a little bit of both!

carl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clew mount is defiantly the best view by far!
And these guys already makes a nice mount, check it out:
clew-view dot com
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. Clew Views are great. It is not what I need, however. It's why I titled the post "GoPro helmet mounts". I appreciate the input from Clew View fans. I have little doubt that I'll buy a Clew View at some point. I was looking for helmet mount information. Thanks again.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Clew-Views are pretty awesome, and actually work well for instruction, too. Maybe a Clew-View AND Peconic Puffin chase cam Combo is really the best overall solution Wink

http://wind-nc.enstore.com/item/clew-view-boom-mount

I don't know how much you've messed around with your camera, Puffin, but there are a few settings that seem to work a bit better for a chase cam- First, change the field of view to medium or narrow. If you stick with ultra wide FOV, you'll have to be 3 feet behind her at all times to get any useful footage... Going to a narrower FOV will allow better results, especially if there's a bit of distance between you two.

Second- going up on the frames per second will allow you to slow things down later and still have a nice smooth clip. It makes the file sizes a bit bigger but doesn't detract from image quality or anything like that.

The only other thing that I might recommend as a cool solution is to get a SoloShot automatic tracking tripod. They are really cool and will allow you both to just go sail and have fun, and then still have a bunch of footage to look at later when you get home. You wear a little transmitter tag and the tripod will automatically aim the camera, zoom in and out, etc etc... leaving both you and your wife free of stress and without "camera duty" so that you can just go have fun and enjoy your vacation.

http://wind-nc.enstore.com/item/soloshot2-sony-camera-bundle

Hope that helps, have fun down there!

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: