myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona Molokai 10.7 Impressions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjseymour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Kona Molokai 10.7 Impressions? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an all around Wind SUP and recently came across the Kona Molokai, has anyone tried this or know more information?

I've been leaning towards a BiC ACE-TEC Wind 10'6", but the front tie downs on the molokai seem like they'd be useful for touring paddles or fishing. I'm a competent beginner with sail, paddle, or surf (maybe less so surf, but living in Hawaii I'm getting better quickly) and looking for an all-around board that can handle a little bit of everything.

Does single fin versus thruster make a big difference in the surf for boards like this?

Thanks in advance
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the lighter one if I know their weights. But then the price difference might be too big.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty standard longboard surfboard style SUP. I'd expect it to be stable, have decent glide, catch waves easily, turn OK, and plane poorly. I have no idea if it would better or worse than the Bic 10'6.

I have a similarly sized sailable SUP, the 10'4 Angulo Surfa. It came with a thruster fin setup. For a while I tried removing the thruster fins and putting a slightly bigger center fin in. It worked the same about 90% of the time, but there was 10% of the time that it would do something weird during a wave ride that it wouldn't have done with the thrusters in. So I think the thrusters were a good thing, at least for that board.

Since you live in Hawaii you might want to get a SUP made by a Hawaiian-based shaper like Angulo. That's not based on science or anything. I'm just thinking that boards built in Hawaii probably work well for the waves there.

adywind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can get a used SURF SUP and let someone install a mast track on it -like I did with my Converse .

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  10505 Time(s)

image.jpg

Last edited by adywind on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have u dudes seen or heard of the new KONA HULA ??

http://www.konaone.com/blog/kona-hula-setting-new-standard-within-school-boards/

https://vimeo.com/111378349

adywind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripping over daggerboards and/or footstraps is not fun. Let's say you remove them when going to paddle or sail in surf /lots of work/- the wide tail and lack of tail rocker would be still a PITA when turning. I bet it weighs a ton too Sad It's a great beginner board for flat water though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: