myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Maui dead as windsurfing vacation destination?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the actual snorkeling spots, or just go snorkeling wherever you happened to be? It matters. Besides ... Maui ain't the Caribbean, or even the Florida Keys; it's just not as clear. An old native Maui lady who has free-dived the Maui coastline her whole life for her income told me early one morning on the Kihei beach that visibility has gotten steadily and noticeably worse every few years as long as she can remember.

I found the Caymans orders of magnitude clearer, but the hands-down clearest water I've ever snorkeled or SCUBA dived in are wild Florida sinkholes and deep springs like Wakulla. They are at least as clear as country air, and can be hundreds of feet deep ... a spooky combination.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've snorkeled and dived in many places in the world but the clearest water I recall was in the Molokini crater, I could see all the way across it.
I wouldn't snorkel near shore on Maui these days because of the rash of shark attacks especially on the south shore.
I still see people windsurfing most days on the webcam, http://www.mauiwindcam.com/streaming/kanaha/
Just not AS windy, for me on Kauai, I'm looking at 10M+ sails Confused
tm00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the middle/end of Aug usually for wind/waves.
From the data I have seen it appears Aug is not a good month
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late August, go to Hood River.
Snorkling in Maui, the worst 2 months for wind, August-Sept. And for waves, unless a big S wraps up, then you go to Kehei side, SE of Pavilions.
quigley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's get back to the topic....windsurfing Maui....not snorkeling Maui !
I have been to Maui many times. Four weeks staying on the north shore for each of the last 5 years. Mid August to Mid September the last 3 years. In 2014 I sailed a 4.7 or smaller on 20 of 27 days. In 2013 sailed 21 of 27 days , also on small sails and wave boards. In 2013 the first swell was Aug. 30. In 2014 it was Sept. 7.
When the trade winds don't blow you can SUP or even SUP sail if they are light. I don 't count those days toward windsurfing but they can be a lot of fun.
Is Maui over as a windsurf destination ? NO WAY !,
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer on Maui; good for wind, bad for waves. Winter exact opposite. August is usually very good for wind but not as much as the peak months of June and July. Sometimes there are smallish waves that pop up without being predicted on the north shore, usually in the head high range (they seem to pass the bouys without detection), while the classic south swells are rare indeed after going there in the summer since 1988. Wind graph from Vela, but I think it underestimates August; http://www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinations/maui/wind-reports.php
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a correct post. Thanks beallmd..
daKine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quigley wrote:
OK, let's get back to the topic....windsurfing Maui....not snorkeling Maui !
I have been to Maui many times. Four weeks staying on the north shore for each of the last 5 years. Mid August to Mid September the last 3 years. In 2014 I sailed a 4.7 or smaller on 20 of 27 days. In 2013 sailed 21 of 27 days , also on small sails and wave boards. In 2013 the first swell was Aug. 30. In 2014 it was Sept. 7.
When the trade winds don't blow you can SUP or even SUP sail if they are light. I don 't count those days toward windsurfing but they can be a lot of fun.
Is Maui over as a windsurf destination ? NO WAY !,

You must either weigh 80 pounds or live in an alternate universe.
I was on Maui last fall from August 21 through September 26.
It was the worst ever and I only got 7 decent sailing days out of the 35 I was there.
August/September is my usual slot for 5 weeks and I have been doing it for ten years.
Usually, the wind is still decent and you get some small NW swell.
That's plenty for an old guy like me.
I usually get in about 20 days in this time slot using no bigger than 5.4 and an 85 or 76 liter board.
I'm not going back this year unless I see that the Pacific high is in the right place.
I don't expect it to be as it is part of the W. Coast drought that is now in full swing.
Some climatologists expect a super drought of like 200 years.

I'll be watching the wind thanks to iWindsurf and might throw down a quick trip if it blows.

A little change in the wind is a big deal to shortboarders.
At 18 mph not much works and at 22 I have fun with a 5.4/85.
My observation is that Maui winds are now more likely to be around 18 and are more easterly or northerly than the 45 degree wind that works so well at Kanaha.
UH research supports that.
Surfing has been nonstop though if that floats your boat.
Elua Makani!
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not going back this year unless I see that the Pacific high is in the right place.

Can someone explain how exactly is the Pacific High displaced? Relative to the drought and the Maui Trade winds?

fxop
slambo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is Maui dead as windsurfing vacation destination? Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Is wind left Maui for good?

Not yet- breezy trades starting tomorrow and sticking around into next week so far on all forecasts. Some waves too.

Aloha.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: