myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where is the Wind??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benspikey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Where is the Wind?? Reply with quote

Anyone else think this spring / winter has been less than good? No clearing winds due to a lack of storms, no epic windy days, heat bubbles in March..

Need my fix? What is going on? Global Cooling??

Getting grumpy!
scameron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, this seasons been not so good. I spent the winter in Baja, and the wind was way fickle. Lots of clouds, overcast, and rain. Came home early. Weather patters are definitely changing,
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big NW today, hope you can go and know where to go.
gronquist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd venture to say that this has been the slowest start to a season in the 20+ years I've been wsing the SB/VTA coast
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is way too warm and the North Pacific High is out of place, forcing the usual cold winter storms North of California.

We need those cold storms to blow through and set up the clearing winds that follow---that has not happened once yet this spring.

Daniel Swain from weather west blog has a good discussion here:

http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/2995

The NWS' Climate Prediction Center has some (somewhat technical) stuff about the historic nature of the high sea temps here:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/fxus05.html

Overall it looks very bad for spring...

--Chris
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy and warm in Utah. Apparently California's loss is our gain. Lot's of
folks out chasing wind and liquid water. I'm still enjoy'n the white stuff
myself.

-Craig
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:
The water is way too warm and the North Pacific High is out of place, forcing the usual cold winter storms North of California.

We need those cold storms to blow through and set up the clearing winds that follow---that has not happened once yet this spring.

--Chris

Hi Chris,

Actually the storm track was not just north of California it was also north of the Gorge and even north of southern Alaske (Anchorage had to truck in snow for contests.) People in the Gorge are calling this the "winter that never happened". Mt. Hood has less than 20% of the normal snow pack. Everything is blooming many weeks early. Baja started with unusual clouds and some rain then became usually warm both air and water wise.

You are right that the North Pacific High has been misbehaving this winter. But this year was just a more extreme version of a trend that goes back over a decade. And this trend has really impacted Maui and Baja winter average wind.

Take a look at the animation below and you can see what happens to Baja's El Norte winds when the North Pacific High is in the wrong place. And if you could slide this animation to the west you would see that this location of the North Pacific High is creating trade winds that are to easterly reach the north shore of Maui.

I am working on a blog about this trend.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

BajaENwindsNPH.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  12882 Time(s)

BajaENwindsNPH.gif

rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still kind of early to be complaining about lack of wind, no? I've been sailing around here for almost 20 years and usually the middle of March marks the start of more regular wind pattern. The usual suspects have been out on some nice days already and it seems like we are starting to get some stretches of 20+ breezes. Don't despair, April is around the corner.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
You are right that the North Pacific High has been misbehaving this winter. But this year was just a more extreme version of a trend that goes back over a decade. And this trend has really impacted Maui and Baja winter average wind.

for some unknown reason (which completely eludes me), lake arenal was absolutely off the hook this winter. exceptionally windy and particularly rainy.

which to me seems really weird considering the NPH went so far north. is this caused, mike, by a totally different wind source down there? not an NPH thing? and if so, in the future is there any chance of us predicting a better baja-maui/worse lake arenal or conversely a worse baja-maui/better lake arenal?

sure would be nice to develop some winter vacation predictions. with my work schedule in the bay area, i barely get to isabel once or twice in august...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: