myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella report Reply with quote

attention, folks - this was an ancient post, recently dredged up from Mar 24, 2015 - I will post a "proper" Isabella update after this next round of "storms" will hopefully have given us a better indicator of water level this spring

spring sailing season has arrived at Lake Isabella. Alas, the water has not: our lake is currently at 8% of capacity, and with a snow pack of only 10% of normal in our watershed, the outlook for later this spring is dismal.
Our sailing venue has shrunk to a fetch of less than 900ft in our typical Southerlies, and a breadth about twice that. Trees border it on the North side, and muddy shoals on the South side. Being in a deep hole, only Southerly winds are sailable, with SW or Westerlies much gustier than they normally are.
To make the most of this available playpen, we have maintained strict separation: we each sail from our respective launch spots, and do not cross over - falling off to give someone right-of-way in such a small venue means you cannot get back upwind.
We have also separated by discipline, with the windsurfers in the green zone upwind of Old Isabella Road, and kiters in the yellow zone downwind.
This has allowed us to safely accommodate (3) riders each. Any more, and we need to take turns.
This system has worked well throughout the winter and early spring, and I beseech everybody headed our way to honor it.
for frequent updates to lake status etc, see https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/

venuesSpring2015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.18 KB
 Viewed:  16790 Time(s)

venuesSpring2015.jpg

Last edited by superkraut on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another year without sailing my favorite lake. Crapola.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Eva, that looks beyond sad. I guess we need to think about the bay or Rio this year. If your not afraid of bid fish with big teeth there is always Arroyo.
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Tony, the state of my lake is totally depressing. No, I do not fear big fish with big teeth - I figure when my time is up, something will jump up and bite one way or the other. I do, however, fear that my skill set, while adequate for flat water, will render me a liability in waves, so my choices are rather limited
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough to see Isabella in such a state. Will be crossing fingers all year for better than normal rain this coming Winter, and for 2016 to be a return to form at this iconic windsurfing paradise.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two hours at my lake yesterday. Very good wind 5.5... I just kept thinking how much fun it would be if the lake had more water... Maybe another month then its done here...if that.....Tony
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva, summertime in Malibu and Cabrillo can often be flat, warm and windy. Downwind there is no kelp. You may have to give it a try mid to late summer. We'll watch out for you!
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here we are nearly a year to the date this was originally posted. Any updates? Is the lake even lower now? Will our increased snowfall in the Sierras help to refill the lake?
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe Eva would post, but since she didn't...

Thing are looking better this year. As of today the lake is as high as it was at any point in 2015 and there's about 80% of the April 1 snow pack with a couple more storms on the way this week.

My guess is that the lake comes up another 20 feet, which isn't great but it's very sailable.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does as high as any point in 2015 compare to the picture EVA posted last year. I have not been to Isabella...yet...and I want to relate. May be able to go their on the way to Death Valley...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: