myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
getting tired of the guess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I use a handheld windmeter, and keep track of what readings from what directions meant what sails worked best. Eyeing the conditions can work, but if your spot is anything like the places I sail, it looks windier when the wind is onshore, or when the sun is bright, or when the tide is moving against the wind.

You have to add length of wind fetch, water current... But still I think predicting wind strength from visual clues is easier than to compensate a windmeter reading from the shore.

I would like to have a windmeter, but it would be to know the exact wind I like with my sail. I would use it offshore, not with a sinker, to put a number on, let's say, marginal 7.5 weather.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, frederick.

I rarely have days in which I find myself having the wrong sail. Here's what helps:

1: Rig big. It's easier to sail through gusts than lulls.

2: Use the manufacturers full range of downhaul and outhaul, and beyond, if necessary. Modern sails have unbelievable range.

3: Use an adjustable outhaul, if getting back to shore is a pain.

4: Use an adjustable downhaul, if getting back to shore is a pain.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We call it the Wind Dummy. The first guy out to check the conditions. Handy to have sometimes. Be one.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sail offshore Lake Michigan there is a wind line where the sh*t can hit the fan. The wind dummy(s) are always appreciated out there. Binoculars can see it all. It is deceiving because off the beach the water is as flat as a pancake and the wind is swirling. A sinker can get caught in this zone and you may have to swim in. Get out a few hundred yards and things begin to change. Get out a few hundred more and you better be prepared. The Southwest swell hits and you are in the stuff. Just make sure you can get back. A wind meter is useless on those gusty offshore days.

Where I could use one is inland lakes onshore, when I am alone. I do not go out on Lake Michigan alone on big days or ever without someone watching.

Much fun watching the really good surfers hit the big Northeast wave days! Not for me.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You describe the kind of conditions we often face on our frequently offshore coast Fred, especially on higher wind days. (A DEAD swirly zone for some way out, and a strong solid blow further out.

Contrary to what many say, most of us prefer to rig a smaller sail (to cope comfortably once in the full wind zone) and a bigger board to help float our body weights. (94 litres keeps me aloat in difficult lulls and swirls.)

In that swirly dead wind zone, a big sail will do nothing a smaller sail will except make it harder to balance and cope with those viscious swirls and shifts, or long lulls, and a smaller 'sinker' board would guarantee a difficult swim in. (Especially through a surf zone should there be a ground swell running.)

I'm just saying what many of us have found to be sensible on the big 'open' sea. (Lake Michigan similar.) Bigger board, smaller sail trumps smaller board bigger sail in the personal safety stakes, in potentially dangerous conditions. (There have been too many drownings over the years, on our coast.)
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you G.T. The smaller sail bigger board combination is often the best choice. On top of that, handling a bigger board in rough conditions really makes one a more capable and versatile sailor. It's kind of like the old days where you had to make a big board work in all conditions.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to carry wind meters. managed to smash/lose all of them.

visual clues help me most now. the impact zone has that foamy stuff that typically is flowing with the wind, yet is pretty shallow and smooth. if it has a ruffled texture, rig small. i call it "ruffles and flourishes." if the foam is detaching, time to go really small.

faster rigging helps the best. i turn around my sails in less than 7 minutes. some venues it takes longer to do the walking than rigging....

having a kit that one has experience with a "go to in anything" really helps too. when in doubt i start with one of those. i have both a long board and short board version. if my time to sail is limited, i stick with either first choice.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kestral is made in USA and the spinner is replaceable, the spinner always wears out on the cheaper ones and cannot be replaced.
I think a wind meter is a must, of course after many years at your local spot you will know what to rig without a reading but for everyone else it's a cool tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: