myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Corolla/Corova, Northern OBX Wavesailing Potential?!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Corolla/Corova, Northern OBX Wavesailing Potential?!! Reply with quote

I have been living in Nags Head for nearly 25 years but never visited the beach north of Corolla. I was up there this past weekend, and must admit I was pretty impressed from a potential wavesailing perspective! Very Happy

The northern beach is quite flat (similar to Ramp 49 at Frisco Airstrip) and goes north for many, many miles. The sand bars are quite far outside and would work great for typical summer time SSW winds. The beach is the widest I have seen on the OBX thus allowing very clean SSW winds to cleanly blanket the breaks and ocean side action. Frankly, with typical summer time SSW wind patterns, it could/would really rock up there for side off wavesailing!!

Additional benefit is that ORV is open with no permit required. Only downside is that people drive like maniacs up there given the flat beach and wide tidal line which produces very packed sand driving, thus excessive speeds. However, if you set up beach camp along the dune line and walk your gear to the water (looking both ways like crossing a busy street), you should be ok. Just do not leave a rigged kit in the "driving lane."

The other unknown for me is how packed the beach gets up there during the summer months (high season). Likely just north of Corolla, it is likely quite packed?, though as one would drive further north, I would assume the crowds would thin out.

All in all, for those that come down/out to the OBX and book along the northern areas of the OBX (Duck, Corolla), and are game for ocean side wavesailing, I highly recommend bringing the wavesailing SUP and standard kit and look north of where the paved road ends! There is definitely potential up there!

Given I am about equal distant from both Corolla and Avon (mileage), I may need to try it sometime this summer. Of course, will have to consider northern traffic though which can be a nightmare, especially on the change over days...

Bill
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed a 40 minute drive up the beach from Corolla in September. No wind all week. Beautiful beach, no worries with traffic on beach. Even in high season. Paved road to get to beach was a big problem on a Saturday. AVOID ROAD ON WEEKENDS during rental season. If there is wind, it would be awesome! Rental mansions are dirt cheap off season. Dirt cheap. Need 4x4 for long drive up beach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: