myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Swap Meet Board List: Part II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Gorge Swap Meet Board List: Part II Reply with quote

This is a list of B&J/wave boards I’ll have at this summer’s swap meets (Board, year, liters, length X width, brief evaluation). See thread titled “Huge selection of great B&J boards at swap meets: Part I” for more general information on these boards.

Epoxy Gorge Animal Bonzer, ~65 Liters, squaretail 7’10” X 20” (they didn’t have cm back then). Insanely loose high speed scalpel, not for nuker newbies. Bigger riders need their “A” game.

Maui Project Waves (all 2001s but the 2000 8-0) in five sizes plus spares:
8-0, 72L, 244 cm X 52.7
8-2, 76L, 248.9 X 53.5
8-4, 81L, 54 X 54.3
You ain’t gettin’ my only, rare, 8-5
8-6, 96L, 259 X 57.8
Just pick your size(s) according to your needs. MPWs are widely respected for their user-friendliness, exceptionally smooth and thus fast ride in rough water, tight or wide slashes and jibes in chop, and total lack of nasty surprises. Because they’re so light (12-14.5 pounds), their decks are often damaged. I buy mine rock solid and pad them preemptively; they are all solid and light. They’re one of my all-time favorites, and I have many.

RRD Cult 50, 2000, 72L, 250 X 53. Exc cond. Very versatile for both B&J and wave venues, jack of all trades when it’s windy or you’re a lightweight.

TIGA Wave carbon 251, 2000, 74L, 252 X 53. Like new. Probably not for sale (NFS); will know soon.

Glass/polyester Malcolm Campbell GA Bonzer 8-0 X 22-3/8” (8-3 sized board with squaretail), 75-80L, Exc cond. This is a big Bonzer and thus relatively heavy, but bomber hull and waterproof Clark Foam core. Solid platform for 3.7 to 5.5 sails, both slashes and slogs easily.

Fanatic Goya Pro (sunburst graphics), 2000, 78, 253 X 53.5 cm. Sails like a MP Wave … a high compliment. Ideal for sloppy onshore -- GORGE -- conditions. Comfortable and expansive OEM deck pad.

JP Wave, 2002, 78, 251 X 54. Fast, crisp, slashy, best suited for aggressive sailors.

JP FSW 2006, 78, 237 X 57. Less edgy and more accessible to the more casual sailor than the JP Wave 78, yet with very high performance on tap. GREAT/smooth carving at any radius, early planer. I may just keep it, as it took me two years to find this specific size and year.

Mistral Naish Wave 8-5, 1999 or 2000 (same board), 86L, 256 X 55.5. Like new. The smaller ones of this extensive lineup were twitchy, the larger ones turned like a bus. This size got everything perfectly for a one-board Gorge quiver or a big guy’s small Gorge board.

Fanatic Goya Pro (ocean scene graphics), 2004, 81L, 248 X 54. Holy cow, but I hate to sell this one. It sails like it looks: beautifully. Looks new but for one cosmetic ding.

Quatro Wave, 2005, 83L, 251 X 55.9 cm. Beautiful, VERY FAST, grips like a slot car in ANY turns in ANY chop. It don’t need no steenkin’ extra fins or thrusters.

Rutger Wave round pin, late ‘90s, ~ 80L, 253/8’4” X 53cm/21”. Smooth, laid-back, natural easy rider, loves swell.

Mark Nelson custom wave, 2010, 90L, 237 X 59. Gorgeous Stubbie wave board for bigger people or moderate days. Exceptional deal because its deck has been repaired (but by the Gorge’s best, Pierre). You’d pay >10X this price for it new.

Do you see a trend? A Maui Project Wave trend? That’s what started my hoarding, because their high performance is SO easily accessible by anyone ready for any given size. They are very loose yet never twitchy, ride like a Cadillac yet handle like a Subaru BRZ, NEVER snag a rail or nose, and will make your transition to smaller boards and higher winds seamless. Help me thin out my MP Wave herd.

You'll find that many of these boards have nearly weightless pads on their vulnerable spots plus some for extra cushion under heels. That's because I hate repairing boards and so I -- and now you -- can sail the living crap out of them without damaging them.

Yes, there are some bags available to fit some of these, plus two new much bigger bags @ 265 X 85 and 245 X 75 cm.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Looking forward to seeing these boards! Reply with quote

I know these boards will be in excellent condition.

It's a great time to be a windsurfer. Parking is available, more space on the water, and the used boards are bountiful (and beautiful). Iso, you might have to be really REALLY aggressive with your price markdowns (especially at the first swap, which is typically a "buyer's swap" with tons of gear and few windsurf tourists with $); generally, it's very tough to sell boards anymore.

By the way, if you have a yellow or GREEN Ian Boyd Air Borne bulbous fin about 9" long, I need one to complete my art project.

GO PACK! Go for it on 4th down for a change!

00P0P_lf94biMHGxE_600x450.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.1 KB
 Viewed:  25002 Time(s)

00P0P_lf94biMHGxE_600x450.jpg

Bugaboo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most would be perfect at the not-upcoming antique windsurf equipment swap.

Otherwise, I think CGWA has a pile/trailer that you can add those to.

Cracks me up how dinosaurs always think old, outdated junk is the real thing, especially when it theirs.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best I could come up with. It's funny and ironic. I think it's perfect for describing American (and perhaps world) materialism and throwaway culture, deriving self esteem from new "stuff", and apparent moral superiority gained thereby:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-device-desirable-old-device-undesirable,2862/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Iso, you might have to be really REALLY aggressive with your price markdowns (especially at the first swap, which is typically a "buyer's swap" with tons of gear and few windsurf tourists with $); generally, it's very tough to sell boards anymore.

By the way, if you have a yellow or GREEN Ian Boyd Air Borne bulbous fin about 9" long, I need one to complete my art project.

Really, really sorry, but my only Airborne fin (apparently unused) is sky blue and only 8.75" long. If you wannit, speak.

Yeah, the April meet is often low key, highly local, and wet, but I was hoping our early warmup might help. The April swap a couple of years ago was HUGE ... clear to the bottom of the hill north of the grass and bigger than May's. Unfortunately, the forecast for days now has been one single day of rain, centered on Sunday. Unless that changes, I will wait until May (and state that clearly here in case somebody actually cares). A low shower probability, a lesser pile of stuff, or sporadic shopping between showers are OK, but after spending days detailing these boards, a constant PacNW drizzle discourages this desert dweller.

If anyone wants a particular board I've listed, let me know. I need to go to HR Sunday anyway, and plan to swing by the swap meet even if I decide not to set up shop there.

I've managed to ride almost all my boards so far this spring expressly so I can I offer a fresh appraisal to potential buyers. Another breezy to windy day and I'll have ridden every one ... except my spanking new ones gathering dust. First things first.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, maybe a light spray of yellow paint could turn that blue into green. The size is fine. I will have a look at it if you are there. Also, I have opened up my mind to a bonafide "football" fin, although it may not ride as well. I would paint a football on it.

Incidentally, I discovered this Australian forum when I searched for "football fin". It makes this forum look like as much fun as the Salem witch trials.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/Sailboard-Dinosaur-Fins/

8521555.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.93 KB
 Viewed:  24820 Time(s)

8521555.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many of those fins, but "slotted fins from the '80s"? I have many of them from the 2010's, and use them when the going gets rough. I can't think of a better bandaid for spinout prevention and recovery than a small slot when overpowered in huge gusts and heavy chop and deliberately pushing my fin to its limits in every direction and with every jump. Spinout sucks when survival sailing by choice or circumstance, and great planform and foiling are only part of the solution. Remember: the fastest way between two points is anything but sideways. Very Happy

The rain potential is shrinking with each forecast update and my other Hood River errands are shaping up, so I'll be at the swap ... but with a smaller subset of the boards on the list. An Odyssey won't hold a dozen boards. I'll have the Airborne with me, but it's zip-tied to a sale board at present.

If I wanted to paint a fin green, I'd use green paint. Just a wild and crazy thought. Very Happy

Mike \m/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my green 9" Ian Boyd slotted Air Born at the last swap. It needed refinishing. But it's a perfect match for my faded Cascade Shreddarhead.

WP_003745.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  487.35 KB
 Viewed:  24228 Time(s)

WP_003745.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a GREAT match ... far mo bettah than painting something. Aren't swaps a goldmine occasionally? Sometimes I find some very specifically sought treasures in one try, other times it takes years.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping the 2000 Naish Wave, red with black outline stripes, 8'5", was 84 liters.
I thought the 8'4"er was 78 liters, but that was a long time ago and I switched to a different dealership that year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: