myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good places to get lessons - NC, OR?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joris00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Good places to get lessons - NC, OR? Reply with quote

I guess I am an upper beginner, I haven't been on harness or footstraps, haven't had (good) experience with strong wind, but am relatively comfortable in lighter wind, ~10mph.
I'm looking to get some lessons at the end of May (Memorial Day weekend + 1-2 more days).

I looked at the "LEARN to WINDSURF [List of Windsurfing Schools]" post, and it seems the popular places are: Hood River, OR; Outer Banks, NC; around San Francisco Bay; HI; The Caribbean.
I'm not planning a big vacation, nor long travel, so I'm focusing mostly on NC, where I've been and had time to check out the shops briefly. I'm open to OR or SF Bay as well. Anything else is a bit too far for 5 days.

I found 5 shops in Outer Banks that offer lessons:
Hatteras Island
Ride Hatteras
Wind-NC
Ocean Air Sports
Fox

Prices are about the same, and pretty reasonable -- fraction of what you pay for lodging. I expect the equipment would be similar as well.
So the most important thing would be the instructor.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge about any of the above?

Any other recommendations are welcome too! (I haven't done any thorough research about OR, or CA)

Huge thanks!
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge is a great place to take lessons. Big Winds in Hood River is the place to go. But the Gorge can be a challenging place. Its best for beginner and intermediate lessons. Learning the footstraps is very challenging without a solid waterstart.

The downside is Memorial Day starts the early part of the season. Normally cold water, strong currents, frontal winds, and strong gorge winds "typically". July and early August is usually better. That being said I'm expecting currents to be lighter and water warming up earlier (currently 51 and rising). But who know what the wind will be this year. The good side is that the gorge is an AWESOME place to be if the wind lets you down...
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out ABK's schedule.

https://abkboardsports.com/camps/schedule
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can push your vacation back a couple of weeks into early June, then you can take an ABK camp listed on the link swchandler provided. You sound like a perfect candidate for the camp at the O'Niell fore bay located next to the San Luis Reservoir. There is good wind, nor current or chop, water you can stand up in out to about 1/4 mile, side shore wind and a nice long beach if you get blown down wind.

Coachg
saildad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: OBX Reply with quote

If you are Turley looking in OBX then Hatteras Island is a great spot. Barton has been in the business for years and is patient and understands the pitfalls faced by a new student. Hatteras is one of the great places to learn anywhere. Consistent winds, shallow water, little current and soft sand. What else could you look for.
I was in Avon 2 weeks ago and the water was already up to 60 and temps are coming around nicely.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obx for sure, been coming here for the past 25 yrs. Shoped at almost all the ws stores at one time or another. They all have a passion for the sport.

I taught my two sons here a long time ago. I can't think of a better place to learn.

Here now, temps have bounced from the mid 70's to low 50's. Wind nothing to 30+.

Talk to a few shops about lessions and go with the one that feels right, all good folks.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly you can get good lessons in both the Gorge and Cape Hatteras. An advantage in taking an ABK clinic (as others have suggested) is that you will get instruction and information to improve every aspect of your windsurfing. As an "advanced beginner" you're at the perfect stage to develop good habits that will make learning easier not just now, but in years to come.

If I could have a "do-over" in my own windsurfing life I'd take a clinic when I was an advanced beginner. Wow do I wish I'd done that.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in luck! ABK is scheduled to be in Bonaire about that time. OTOH OBX sounds like fun or--you're in Colorado, right?-- how about Corpus Christi? All 3 have shallow water--great for practicing water starts--and sea breezes. I'm not familiar with shops/lessons at Hatteras but I would make sure whomever you choose has a good range of modern gear. Some places have become kite operations with windsurfing as sort of a sideline. That will not happen to Worldwinds ever, I hope, because there is no kiting allowed at BIB. Check out their improved website.
http://www.worldwinds.net/index.php?route=common/home
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABK camps are the best choice - you'll learn a lot from very experienced and great instructors in groups with others at a similar skill level. I have seen many amazing progressions in ABK camps.

Otherwise, OBX is a fantastic place to learn. Maybe you can do the 3-day weekend camp May 15-17? It's often possible to find a room in a house that other windsurfers have rented.

Corpus Christi is another great spot, with shallow water like Hatteras that's perfect for your skill level. You can definitely get top-notch instruction from WorldWinds. The only issue could be that the wind at the end of May can be a bit strong. But it's reasonably flat, shallow, and and the wind is way more constant (and thus better for learning) than the Gorge. I think the Gorge is better once you're comfortable in the straps and want to learn the next steps.
Joris00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, super helpful responses!

ABK sounds like the real deal. Especially for a solo traveler like me.
However, getting from DEN to OBX is not as simple as I thought -- pretty much a full day of traveling, and my vacation time is precious -- so NC is on hold. I should have researched this part earlier...

I definitely want to try ABK, so I'll plan for one of the June camps in CA.

But lots of time until then, and I want to put Memorial Day to good use, so I'm thinking about Corpus Christi. Worldwinds seems close to the airport and to many lodging options.

Side question about ABK:
Looks like it's usually close to some campground (at least the CA locations)... do people usually stay at the campground, or some hotel/motel nearby (personal preference, of course, but I wonder what's more common)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: