myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting AIR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 6:36 pm    Post subject: Getting AIR Reply with quote

I see a lot of kite surfers where I live, but rarely do I see mondo air. Whats the trick for really launching? Do you need at least some swell? Is it quite difficult?
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting AIR Reply with quote

The trick for getting air is a combination of board speed, kite angle, and a decent ramp. If you want good hang time, you need to have your kite high enough to bear some of your weight and slow your return to earth.
jquick1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 3:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting AIR Reply with quote

The best way to get serious air time it to practice on the beach first, and then while riding...the key is to make sure you are on the verge of being overpowered and have plenty of speed.

Jumping on the beach and while moving on the water are a bit different, but the principle is the same.

This may be hard to describe:

Lets say you are going one way, with kite on the edge of the window (where it should be if you are really powered up). When you are ready to jump, immediately shoot the kite back the opposite direction of travel to a little past the middle of the window...and then back up over head into the direction of original travel (making a Z). Strangely, you wont really feel the kite pull you back like you would expect...but you will feel the kite lift you when it shoots back to the over head position. The special point is to let the kite do the lift work (you should feel it lift pretty hard and be prepared), dont try to jump using your legs. If you have to try to jump, then you are underpowered, and you need a larger kite or more wind. Also, be sure to crouch just a little bit to leave the ground or water with stability.

Ok now you are in the air. You should be able to steer the kite while sailing in the air and bring it gradually in the direction of original travel (while you are sailing in the air!). Be sure to point your board in the general direction of your travel over the water...youll be starting to fly more downwind. Land the board on the tail, and carve back in the direction you were originally going and put kite back on edge of window.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

-------------------------
I see a lot of kite surfers where I live, but rarely do I see mondo air. Whats the trick for really launching? Do you need at least some swell? Is it quite difficult?
thruster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 9:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting AIR Reply with quote

The trick for getting air is a combination of board speed, kite angle, and a decent ramp. If you want good hang time, you need to have your kite high enough to bear some of your weight and slow your return to earth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: