myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fractured ankle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnetic shoes, locked in perfect position. No footstraps.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit using booties too when I got my foot stuck during a jibe with wind gust while learning jibes. Injured knee- partially torn MCL, sprained ACL. I keep footstraps wide and high now but then I am just a recreational sailor- I try to avoid catching air. Would kind of like to but I guess not enough to risk injury. If I lived where I could do waves though - that would make it worth learning. Or rather - when I live where I can do waves I will learn to deal with catching air going over the backside of waves. I've done it by accident sometimes. Or necessity. Anyway- no booties is really helpful at my level in avoiding getting foot stuck I think.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2nd thought- I think releasable footstraps would be perfect for people in the jibe learning stage and people that just want to do small jumps. In fact I think getting injured probably had a lot to do with not wanting to get air. I was out of work a couple mo.... If that hadn't happened I may not have developed the fear. Perhaps more people would be inclined to learn to windsurf if they felt their risk of injury was low. Kiting got more popular when it got safer. I wish someone would develop releasable footstraps.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been jumping many times per reach for over 30 years of full-time recreational WSing in strong winds. Had only one injury from it, totally unrelated to footstraps. Ya wanna jump, then JUMP. You're much more likely t get hurt, and much worse, driving to the lake.
timsaunders

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: DAKINE KITE CONTOUR FOOTSTRAP Reply with quote

I've been sailing my whole life chasing windsurfing at the highest level. THE BEST FOOTSTRAP EVER MADE....... Dakine Kite contour footstrap. This footstrap stretches...... It was widely used by lots of freestyle windsurfers but was marketed towards kiters. It has been discontinued by dakine. You can fall flat on your face and rather than breaking your foot the strap stretches. NYLON WEBBING DOESN'T STRETCH. The windsurf version of the kite contour was narrower and doesn't stretch. Jim oaks has been experimenting with some stretchy straps that look good. If anyone has DAKINE KITE CONTOUR FOOTSTRAPS i will buy them$$$... Thanks, and i will keep pressuring dakine to re release this strap but under a windsurf marketing and label.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, preferences. For many reasons stated here before plus the flipside hazards of stretching, I throw Contours away or put them on boards I'm selling. To each his own.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing short boards since '83, known as a big time jumper by anyone who's sailed with me.
Never had a problem wearing booties, and worn them here all the time. No booties in tropics, and I set the straps tighter there.
I've fractured over 6 sailboards, all high wind stuff, mostly at Crissy and Tomales, always in front of the front straps, usually deck fractures/buckles first, before the bottom sheers away.
I've always set my straps slalom position, so my heel is free to float a bit back and forth, only the big toe thru the straps in front, while back straps a bit looser.
While the new school big narrow straps can work if you're young, flexible, and strong, and riding extremely short boards in rotating moves, I'm not sold on the concept for big jumps alone.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timsaunders is a top level windsurfer. His opinion on straps would be respected by anyone who's seen him sail. Yes, it's all personal preference.

I broke my foot (metatarsal bone) 23 years ago. I had my straps set so my toes just protruded as most people did then. After my foot healed I opened my straps more. I had to because the broken spot was painful for a year after it healed. I thought why hold the the long bones of the foot down so the strap acts as a fulcrum point to invite breakage? Within a few years I opened my straps as big as they'd go.

I like my straps big, right up against my ankle. If I set them smaller than that the board flies off my feet when I loop. It feels safest to me and helps with turning and riding swell strapped. You bend at the ankle, so that feels like a natural point to hold down to the board. I never fall so I don't worry about the board being too attached to my feet Very Happy. Seriously the board comes off in the worst tumbles without breaking bones.

I sail a lot of hours and get painful spots on my feet from leveraging on my straps. I've learned various methods of padding to keep my foot pain manageable.

I was inspired by my friend Tim's stretchy strap experience. I've had good luck with my test straps so far. I'm happy to share what I've learned if any one want's to see them.

Last edited by jimoakes on Thu May 21, 2015 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go, more than one way to skin a cat.
But to say ONE way is the only way, then we suffer from censorship.
While Tyson and Wyatt use huge tall narrow straps on their freestyle boards, they also use wider, much lower, tighter straps on their slalom boards.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook had the IP to a breakaway foot strap several years ago. Call em up and see if they still have em! None of us are getting any younger after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: