myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I want to see out my window!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonehead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWave will replace your windows for a very reasonable price. I'm on 09 ZXLs which aren't much different from the current model and have held up very well but had the windows replaced on the sizes I commonly use rather than spring for new ones.
airtime

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Vinyl windows Reply with quote

Vinyl windows in sails are small. They are usually surrounded by some other type of scrim or monofilm. Northwave still makes Surflites with a vinyl section in the window. All sails that use any type of monofilm or scrim will scratch and fog and loose some of their transparency over time. The better you take care of them, the longer you will be able to see through the windows.

Northwave does offer window replacement at a very reasonable price. Also, the Surflites are a fantastic 4 batten sail with a vinyl window. Made in the USA and in the colors you choose. Custom. Period....
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep the sails but improve viz, get some Plexus plastic cleaner. Spray it on clean and dry, then buff with a soft cloth. It seems to fill small scratches, the kind that makes the film appear cloudy. No abrasives used, unlike many car polishers, and won't dissolve glued seams if used properly. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.
schweitzer

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used plastic polish on my sails (meguar's)
to good effect, the vynil is a snap, but mono-film
take 10 times more work, so I use pledge.
I like the smell of the "Orange'
My problem with windows is not the material, but rather
the insult that I put my equipment through.
I am "on" for 41 day's this spring.
I am not "qualified" to get new northwaves made,
So, I will see you guys at the swap.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailworks!! Why not stay local? I've never had an issue with windows and their performance is second to none!

Not to mention strong resale value as I usually upgrade every three seasons.
kevinhickerson1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that i can get about 3 or 4 seasons from northwave windows, then i take them into nw and get new windows installed. costs 50 or 60 each. quite reasonable at 15 or 20 bucks a season, and they do a great job. I agree with others that say cleaning or trying to use products on windows is mostly a waste of time....although perhaps necessary if you have ocd.
kevinhickerson1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that i can get about 3 or 4 seasons from northwave windows, then i take them into nw and get new windows installed. costs 50 or 60 each. quite reasonable at 15 or 20 bucks a season, and they do a great job. I agree with others that say cleaning or trying to use products on windows is mostly a waste of time....although perhaps necessary if you have ocd.
schweitzer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish it?
Is it worth it?
Have you got the Time?
Take the time and it is worth it to polish it.

polish it.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.42 KB
 Viewed:  17397 Time(s)

polish it.jpg

Carl2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: polish Reply with quote

Try a little of that polish on your camera lens the pic looks cloudy Confused
WMP

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail exclusively on '93 Northwave Trilites with single-cams, thus my claim to fame is that there's more sailing miles on these sails than any other sails in the known universe. Indeed, these sails have been around before many kiters came out of their moma's tummy. I've never cleaned them, moss has been growing out the seams, the 3.7 still has my blood stains from "big Tuesday" last year. Just recently the most used sails have gone in the shop for their first repair (after 22 years, just minor stuff). Got some backups just in case..... figure I'm ready until the year 2525.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N03Uoj6p9QA

kevinhickerson1 wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: