myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2015 SFB Speed King
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: 2015 SFB Speed King Reply with quote

With Winter almost out of the way and first signs of westerly breeze in the Bay, it is time to announce 2015 SFB Speed King Event.

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=event&val=366

Event starts on March 1st through October 15th. This year sailing spots are extended to area between Bodega Bay, Half Moon Bay and Rio Vista. Plus San Luis Reservoir.

Ladies and Gentleman, Queens and Kings, Speedsurfers and Speedsailors; sharpen your fins and get your gps devices charged! Its time to set some fast times!

As always, if anyone needs help with gps device, gpsspeedsurfing web site, speed tips or anything related to this event, this is a great place to start.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all signed up - and calling on all female speedsters to join in!
and thanks a bunch, Boris, for putting this together!
streetsailing

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I hit 40mph max speed yesterday at Crissy. Didn't think it was possible in that chop but there were some flat spots in the middle with this weeks max flood. Let's hit it again today.
It's hard to believe that the world record is over 50knots (57mph)

Photo is best average speeds over a 10 second run.

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 7.57.55 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.05 KB
 Viewed:  17233 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 7.57.55 AM.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetsailing wrote:
I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I hit 40mph max speed yesterday at Crissy. Didn't think it was possible in that chop but there were some flat spots in the middle with this weeks max flood. Let's hit it again today.
It's hard to believe that the world record is over 50knots (57mph)

Photo is best average speeds over a 10 second run.

I think there is a limit of 34-36 knots in open water. Anything above that needs a venue that remains flat in more than 20-25 knots of wind. Hard to come by with those ...

My absolute best has been 36-37 knots max (2") at the Stick on a 6.0 Cam and Carbon Art 52. The Stick might be the only venue in the Bay where you can get to the mid thirties if you are there before the chop develops.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick is good, but so is Haskins, Oyster, and Rod&Gun. All coves with sideshore launch, but offshore winds making for small windchop.
Just pinch up to the houses at Larkspur, for tiny chop and broad reach's.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be precise max speed record is 54.02 knots or just over 62 mph and 500 meters record is 52.05 knots or just under 60 mph.
Nice speeds there at Crissy. I bet we will see speeds in high 30 knots range at several spots in the Bay and maybe even 40 knots with little help from mother nature....
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tramontana00 wrote:
To be precise max speed record is 54.02 knots or just over 62 mph and 500 meters record is 52.05 knots or just under 60 mph.
Nice speeds there at Crissy. I bet we will see speeds in high 30 knots range at several spots in the Bay and maybe even 40 knots with little help from mother nature....

500m speed record is actually a staggering 65.45 knots by Vestas SailRocket II with a peak of 68.01 knots. Kites are couple of knots more than windsurfs but still almost 10 knots slower than Vestas!!!! Like standing stil Shocked
tramontana00

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of-course, I was speaking of windsurfing speed records, not speed sailing records. Not sure if standing still is exactly how I would describe it but SailRocket II sure did set the bar outside of windsurfers and kitesurfers reach unless there is a breakthrough in design.
For pure pleasure of fast sailing, I would say that windsurfing will do the trick Wink
streetsailing

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't take long. Who will be next!

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 10.31.42 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.51 KB
 Viewed:  16893 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 10.31.42 PM.png

noel

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Pole position is often short lived... You still put Crissy/you among the top 20 fastest spots in the nation!

Have not confirmed/ verified this yet but isn't Haskins now the fastest spot, so far, in the SF Bay? ie. top speed and average speed.

Once the upper part is cleaned up from the existing trash (shopping carts, etc.) I bet this spot will be able to clock high 30s in max speed (tough for getting strong results for Average since short runs)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: